Boundaries

Chapter Nine: Boundaries

Emma's POV

The call with my parents left me feeling bittersweet. It was comforting to hear their voices and to know they were doing okay, but the conversation had stirred up a deep sense of homesickness. After hanging up, I wandered through the house, lost in my thoughts.

I found myself near Tristan's office. His door was slightly ajar, and the sound of his raised voice caught my attention. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but curiosity got the better of me. His usually controlled demeanor was gone, replaced by raw frustration as he shouted at someone on the other end of the call.

"No, that's unacceptable! We had a deal!" Tristan's voice was sharp, and I could hear the tension in every word. "If you can't deliver, then we'll find someone who can."

I knew I should walk away, but I was rooted to the spot. Hearing Tristan like this was unsettling. It was a side of him I hadn't seen before, and it made me realize just how much pressure he was under.

Suddenly, the shouting stopped, and I heard the sound of the phone being slammed down. I was about to slip away when the door swung open. Caught off guard, I stumbled forward, directly into Tristan's chest.

His hands instinctively went to my waist, steadying me. The contact sent a jolt of electricity through my body, and I looked up to find him staring down at me, his eyes wide with surprise.

"Emma," he said, his voice softer but still tinged with the remnants of his anger. "What are you doing here?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. I was acutely aware of his hands on my waist, the heat of his body, and the intensity of his gaze.

"Were you eavesdropping?" he asked, his tone hardening.

I was a terrible liar, and I knew it. "I... I didn't mean to. I was just passing by, and I heard you yelling. I didn't mean to listen in."

His grip on my waist tightened slightly, and I felt a shiver run down my spine. "You know it's bad to eavesdrop, don't you?"

"Yes, I'm sorry," I said quickly, my face flushing with embarrassment. "I didn't mean to. I just... I was worried."

He sighed, releasing his hold on me and stepping back. "It's fine. Just don't do it again."

He started to turn away, but something inside me compelled me to speak. "Tristan, wait. Can I ask you something?"

He stopped and looked back at me, a mixture of curiosity and impatience on his face. "What is it?"

I took a deep breath, gathering my courage. "Why are you always so grumpy? I mean, I get that you're under a lot of stress, but it feels like you're always on edge. Is there something going on that you're not telling anyone?"

His eyes narrowed, and for a moment, I thought he was going to snap at me. But instead, he just stared at me, his jaw clenched. "You don't know anything about me, Emma. You shouldn't make assumptions."

"I'm not making assumptions," I said, my voice trembling. "I'm just trying to understand. You're so closed off, and it feels like you're carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. It's okay to let people in, you know."

His expression darkened, and he took a step toward me. "You don't know what you're talking about," he said, his voice low and dangerous. "You have no idea what I go through, the responsibilities I have. So don't pretend to understand."

I felt a lump form in my throat, but I pushed on. "I'm not pretending. I'm just trying to help. Maybe if you opened up a little, it wouldn't be so hard."