Chapter 2: The Old Folktales

Elena Monroe and Simon Blackwood walked briskly down the winding village path toward Mayor Harold Jenkins's stately home. The morning sun barely peeked through the dense canopy of trees that shadowed their steps. Elena's mind raced with thoughts of the stone circle and the strange runes etched upon its surface. Simon, usually the more skeptical of the two, remained unusually quiet, his brow furrowed in thought.

Mayor Jenkins greeted them warmly, though his eyes betrayed a hint of concern. The mayor led them to his study, a room filled with dusty tomes, old maps, and curious artifacts. The air was thick with the scent of aged parchment and polished wood.

"Good to see you, Elena. Simon," Mayor Jenkins said, his voice tinged with curiosity. "What brings you to my home?"

Elena wasted no time. "We found something strange in the forest—a stone circle with runes. Do you know anything about it?"

Mayor Jenkins's eyes widened slightly, and he took a seat behind his cluttered desk. "Ah, the stone circle. It's not something I've heard about in years. Let me see what I can dig up."

With that, he began to sift through his collection of ancient manuscripts and local records. After a while, he pulled out a worn, leather-bound book. "This," he said, opening the book carefully, "is a compilation of old folktales and legends."

Elena and Simon leaned in as Mayor Jenkins began to read aloud. The tales spoke of the Bramble King, a dark guardian of the forest. According to the legend, the Bramble King was once a benevolent spirit, protecting the forest and its creatures. However, as humans encroached upon his domain, his spirit became twisted by anger and despair. He was said to control the shadows and could bring calamity to those who disturbed his realm.

"The Bramble King," Mayor Jenkins said, "is more than just a story. The old folk believed he could manipulate the very fabric of reality within the forest. His awakening could mean grave danger."

Simon shifted uneasily. "Are you suggesting that what we've seen is related to this legend?"

Mayor Jenkins nodded gravely. "The disturbances you've noticed—strange shadows, unnatural fog—fit the descriptions from the tales. I would advise you to stay away from the forest. If the Bramble King is awakening, you should be cautious."

The weight of his words hung heavy in the air. Elena and Simon exchanged worried glances. They thanked Mayor Jenkins and left his home, their minds swirling with unease.