Mission 4: Dear Estranged Family

Planning for the party was easy enough, for me at least. As soon as I mentioned my name, there were several people practically begging for me to attend their own up-coming functions, although I politely declined the majority. I had not returned for fame. 

The day of the party quickly came, by that time we had collected several more names for our list. We also collected the names of a few reporters who didn't care who they drug through the mud, so long as it was a good story.

I quickly got ready and went down to the car Brandon had prepared for the night. Luckily, I'd had a nice ride hidden away for special occasions such as this. 

Brandon looked over as I got in. "What are you wearing?"

I glanced down at my leather jacket, turtleneck and jeans. "What? I like it."

"It doesn't really match the vibe of a black-tie event."

I chuckled. "I'm going as Ioan Hedaya; I would look ridiculous if I showed up in a suit." 

Brandon shook his head. "You're crazy."

"I have to be. How else would one survive this world?" I clicked the seatbelt. "Let's go."

We reached the party, fashionably late. The car came to a smooth stop, and I looked at the flashing lights. Quite honestly, I did not miss the endless loop we were about to walk into. 

I ran a hand through my hair and stepped out of the car.

The reporters all stopped for a second and looked at me. "Isn't that-?"

"Ioan Hedaya?"

"I'd recognize him anywhere."

"Quick! Get his picture!"

The cameras started flashing and I was almost deafened by the sound of clicking and people shouting questions. Brandon bumped me from behind. I glanced back and then marched forward, waving as I went.

I walked up the stairs and turned around to allow a few more pictures before entering the building.

I took my sunglasses off and hooked them to my jacket pocket. "Welcome to the party."

"There are so many people here, how will we find the detective?" Brandon said under his breath."

"Easy. Find my cousin." 

"And how do we do that?"

I walked across the room, snagging a champagne glass from a waiter. "Nancy! Long time no see!"

My cousin, Nancy Lewis, was an elegant lady in the public eye. But behind closed doors, she was almost as vicious as Malkovich himself.

Probably explained why she was dating a corrupt cop. 

Nancy looked at me with ill-disguised contempt. "Hello Ioan." 

I waved at a few people who passed by, making sure to look very disinterested in everything. "Great party, I hear a congrats are in order."

She frowned. "Yes, just not from you."
I leaned in. "Play nice now, I still have more followers than you have employees. In just one post I could run this whole thing you have going."

Nancy glowered at me and then quickly adjusted her posture. "Hello? Over here. I'd like some pictures with my cousin." She waved a few reporters over.

I allowed a few pictures before turning to the man I'd come to see. "Hi, I'm Ioan. Nancy's cousin."

Detective Kyle smiled politely. "Nice to meet you, I'm Jared Kyle."

I gave him a hearty slap on the back. "We should get together some time, it's nice to see my dear cousin with someone."  

Luckily we were in the public eye or else Nancy probably would have strangled me right there.

I waved again and went to the buffet with Brandon. "The detective. Check." 

"How can you be so sure?" Brandon asked quietly.

"He can't easily refuse, I'm Ioan Hedaya."

"Must be nice."

"Not really." I filled a small plate with finger foods. "But it gets the job done."

Brandon rolled his eyes. "Who's next?"

I turned around and nodded at a chubby guy laughing it up with a group of older fellows. "Police Commissioner Sanders, his connections run deep, and he gets a payout from anyone who even thinks illegally."  

"What's the plan for him?"

"Talk him up, get on his good side. And then call him up with a little issue that I need help with."

"Good plan. How will you approach him?"

I pulled a card from my pocket and held it out. "You go."

Brandon took the card. "Okay."

I stood back and watched him go. Someone as high up like the commissioner would be irritate that someone beneath his level would give a message instead of coming to him in person. But it would also make him all the more eager to earn my approval.

And once I started dropping green paper around him, the battle would be nearly over.

There were a few other people at the party that Brandon and I talked to, but they didn't seem to have much that could be used. And after spending several hours chatting it up with overstuffed politicians and businessman, we decided to call it a night. 

The next week and a half were spent attending multiple social conventions. To the point we almost couldn't tell them apart. In our spare time, we followed the people on our list and collected evidence against them. 

We were stretched thin between everything that was going on. Brandon managed to find people willing to testify against Malkovich, but only if their safety was guaranteed.

I dipped into my network for assistance, but it could only offer so much. With all the poking around that was going on, we knew it was only a matter of time before Malkovich decided to come after us in full force. 

Which meant we were running out of time to get things done.

After a long day of running across nearly the entire city, Brandon and I finally reached the safe house. 

"What's the news?" Brandon asked.

I dropped a pile of photos and files on the table. "This is everything on the commissioner. It's not a lot, but he'll think twice about going against us."

Brandon skimmed the files. "Bribery, embezzlement, forgery, plus everything else." He ran a hand through his hair. "Let's cross our fingers that he doesn't stay firm."

I pulled out another file and held it out. "I took the liberty of preparing a plan B."

"Plan B?" Brandon opened the file. "Isn't this guy related to you?"

"My uncle, Donovan. I'm pressing charges for his attempt on my life." I held up a picture I'd taken. "The commissioner and Donovan are pretty close. I plan on hitting him all at once so he can only choose one loyalty."

"Are you saying that he'll choose Donovan?"

"Exactly."

Brandon set the papers down. "How can you be sure he'd pick him and not Malkovich?"

"I'm not, but he won't have much choice. Everything against my uncle is shoddy at best, but the charges against Malkovich are piling up." I straightened. "If he's smart, he'll pick the easiest route out, not to mention the blackmail we'll release if he does side with Malkovich."

Brandon nodded. "Alright then. So, are we ready to put everything into motion?"

I looked at all the papers on the table. 

"Yes."