Chapter 007

Ayanokouji says, “Nino, are you okay?” Nino is somewhere at the corner trembling as she tries to stop herself from crying. Ayanokouji mercilessly decimated a zombie who nearly bit Nino off. He wipes the tears off her cheek and says, “I thought you were as strong-willed as I thought.” Nino pouts, “S-shut up!” 

Ayanokouji says, “It's been a while now. You should be used to seeing them.” She stutters, “T-they're quite scary up close.” Ayanokouji continues to wipe her cheeks and remarks, “You're so cute when you're in this state.” She swats his hand and whines, “Don't treat me like a baby!”

Ayanokouji tilts his head and says, “But you're my baby.” Nino smacks his arm rather strongly but he remains unfazed. He then stands as he notices the sun has already risen. Ayanokouji says, “Let’s try to find a better safe spot.” He offers his hand to help her stand up before they wander off.

As they’re walking, Nino suddenly says, “I wonder what happened to all the pets. I haven’t seen a single zombie dog yet.” Ayanokouji says, “That sounds like the game we played, but you're right. I do hope they're doing just fine.” Nino says, “It'd be more inconvenient if a giant zombie were running around the streets.”

Ayanokouji says, “Whether it's a zombie dog, giant zombies, or not. I'm not letting you die.” Nino pouts, “Ahh mou… since when did you become such a flirt? I wonder what would happen if you were stuck with a different girl instead of me.” He says, “I'll do the same thing as I did to you. Making you fall for me.” Nino scoffs, “Why would I fall for someone like you? You probably fell for me.”

Ayanokouji says, “Was that a joke? Isn't it inappropriate to say such things during this predicament?” Nino says, “Does it look like I’m making a joke? You're the last person on earth I'd fall for.” 

Ayanokouji then points behind her and says nonchalantly, “There's a zombie on you.” Nino shrieks and quickly hides behind him. He then glances at her and sarcastically remarks, “Now, who's the baby?” Nino blushes as she's fuming in embarrassment. 

She then heads straight off, leaving Ayanokouji behind. He chases after her as he says, “Where are you going? Do you even know where you're going?” Nino replies, “Away from your annoying gloomy ass!” He catches up by her side and says, “Sorry. I got carried away.” She continues to walk forward, ignoring his words.

Ayanokouji sighs, “Look, I was just joking around. I didn't mean to scare you.” She continues to ignore him when—

“MIKU! WAKE UP!” 

Both stop in their tracks and hear it. Nino looks around where the source of the voice is coming from. 

“MIKU, PLEASE!” 

She says, “It's coming from there!” They immediately sprint toward the direction where the voice could've been. The two then notice two familiar faces on the ground. Nino says in disbelief, “M-miku…?”

===

Oreki is waiting down the empty hallway after school. A few seconds later, the door opens to reveal everyone's fan-favorite quint. Miku says, “H-Houtarou…? You could've texted me! If the others saw you, we'd be in—”

Oreki interrupts her by giving her a peck on the lips and smiles, “Enough with the small details. Let's go.” She blushes as they intertwine their hands. She then asks, “Where are we going today?” Oreki looks up in thought and replies, “Who knows? Probably down the arcade again?” Miku giggles, “Still not giving up? I'll kick your butt this second time.” Oreki smiles at her as they reach outside. 

As the two walk down the sidewalk, Oreki asks, “Do you want to eat first?” 

No response. 

Oreki asks again, “Miku?”

No response. 

Oreki glances at her as she seems somewhat different. Her skin is completely pale. And she kept making growling sounds. She slowly turns her head to him, revealing an infected Miku. Oreki yells, “AHHH!”

He quickly jolts up as he's sweating bullets. Oreki wipes his sweaty forehead and whispers, “Jesus… what was that?”

Oreki glances to see Miku next to him who's still unconscious. He sighs in relief as he places his hand on her forehead. While checking her temperature, his eyes darted on her lips. He remarks, “I've seen enough fairy tale movies to know a true love’s kiss is supposed to wake up the sleeping beauty.” 

Miku weakly curls a smile. Oreki is stunned by her sudden movement. She whispers, “Does that mean you love me that much?” Oreki then smiles and kisses her lips. He says, “You still need to recover.” She tries to get up but feels something stinging on her foot. Oreki holds her worriedly and says, “Hey, I told you to recover first.” Miku says, “H-houtarou… My foot hurts.”

He says, “I'll take care of it.” He takes off the blanket and sees her sock covered with dirt and blood. 

What the…

Oreki quickly takes her sock off as Miku winces in pain. She says, “Be… be careful, Houtarou. It hurts.” His eyes widen in shock when he finally sees it all. Miku asks, “Houtarou? Is everything all right?

Miku leans forward a bit to see her foot bleeding. Her mind goes blank for a second as tears begin to dribble from her eyes. She stutters, “H-Houtarou…” Oreki says, “B-but… you….”

Miku suddenly feels her head throbbing. Oreki notices her and immediately lays her down gently. He says, “You just woke up. This bite mark could've been from something else.” Miku replies, “B-but… What else could have bitten me?!”

Tears begin to dribble from his eyes as Oreki repeatedly shakes his head in denial. He says, “You've been out for days. You're going to be fine.” Miku says, “You should've killed me when you got the chance.” Oreki raises his voice, “I CAN’T DO THAT TO YOU, MIKU! We'll get through this! We'll find a way to fix this!”

Miku sniffles as tears begin to dribble, “H-how? How are we going to fix this?’ Oreki replies, “We'll find a way. Even if we travel across the continent to fix you up, I'd rather do that than let you suffer! Even if I have to fight off every single bastard in the world, I'd do that too. Just… I just don't want you to die on me!” 

Miku caresses his face and whispers, “You have to kill me…” Oreki stares at her in shock and says, “N-no…! We're going to fix this!” She says, “Houtarou, please… it's the only way.” Oreki says, “I'm not going to hurt you, Miku! I love you! I'll save you no matter what!”

Miku sadly smiles, “I love you, Houtarou Oreki.” Oreki smiles back but it disappears as she slowly closes her eyes. He says worriedly, “Miku? Miku? Miku?!”

She lies still with no movement whatsoever. Oreki begins to panic as he says, “Miku?!” He checks her pulse but there's nothing. Her breathing is almost gone. Oreki tries his efforts to revive her by performing CPR and mouth and mouth but to no avail. 

Oreki yells, “MIKU! WAKE UP!” He does it again, but nothing is working. 

“MIKU, PLEASE!”

“M-miku…?”

To be continued…