Chapter 4

The forest grew much taller here. Trunks of trees thirty feet wide stood like mighty pillars, between them the moss covered ground stretched across a space the size of ballrooms. Looking up, Elisset could see the canopy far above, distant flecks of daylight shone through, permeating weakly down to where she stood in the permanent twilight.

On the mighty branches a whole town was woven together with living wood and vines. She could see figures walking between doorways that seemed to grow from the tree, as if the trees had opened their bark to allow entry to their heartwood. A faint sound of pipes and strings played a sweet song that ebbed and flowed down to her, rising and falling like the rustle of leaves in a summer's breeze.

"What is this place? Your home?" She asked Mal, who continued to walk across the wide open forest floor underneath the raised settlement.

"Yes. We call it home." Was all he replied.

"We should not be here." Her aunt whispered to her. The hunter remained silent, his face clearly etched with fear, eyes flicking between moving figures, fighting the urge to flee.

"No, you should not." Mal turned around as he spoke. "We must hurry." He said as he started leading them forward once more, down the magnificent natural avenue of browns and greens.

It was a mile or more into the settlement that they rounded one mighty trunk, and saw before them the grandest of sights. Three huge trees grew side by side, the central pillar of wood stretching up into the unseen skies. Either side, two trunks spiralled around the central, creating a spiralled column of reds and browns. Here and there yellow-green lights gently glimmered and glowed, their source unseen. At the base, roots had been formed into a series of small terraces, leading to a dark triangular opening in the central trunk that did not seem carved by tools, but formed naturally over years. On the terraces stood a large number of forest people with long blades slung at their hips, several holding bows longer than Elisset's height, all surrounding one seated on a raised chair, a throne, made of the living tree.

"That is the Lord of the Forest, and you would do well to show humility to him, Queen Elisset. Your life is in his hands now." Mal's voice was in her head again. Keep your voice out of my head. I am a Queen.

"You are an exile, and in a perilous position." His voice answered. You can hear my thoughts?

"Yes."

Do your best not to do so. It is not acceptable.

"Very well, Queen Elisset." He spoke aloud. "Remain silent, all of you, unless you are spoken to."

At that moment a horn blew three sharp blasts, and the crowd in front of them parted, leaving them facing the Lord of the Forest who looked them over before beckoning to them. Mal walked slowly forward, and began speaking words that Elisset could not understand, words that sounded soft, like the wind, interspersed with sudden and harsh phrases, like hail falling on a frozen pond. After a short discussion, the Lord of the Forest looked over at Elisset.

"You are a Queen?" His voice was soft and smooth, deep and calm. Elisset felt his authority radiating through his words.

"I am, my Lord." She licked her lips as her mouth suddenly felt dry, and offered a low and hasty bow after speaking.

"And you seek refuge?"

"I do, my Lord." She bowed again, without knowing why. Her cheeks warmed, so she took a deep breath. Why do I feel so small?

"Well you will not find it here. It is forbidden for you to stay with us. You should not have even been brought here." She noticed Mal's head drop at the Lord's words.

"As a dignitary.."

"Your customs do not hold sway in the Forest. I would be entitled to take your life according to my own laws, however it is clear you have the blood of the forest in you, and so I will offer you mercy. You are an exile and I understand your situation, better than you might believe. But you cannot stay here. You will be escorted to the boundaries of our lands, and then you are free to go on. You must not come back. Do you understand?"

"Yes, my Lord. Thank you." She restrained from bowing once more, dipping her head slightly in thanks. I want people to feel like this when they are in my presence.

The Lord of the Forest looked at her in an intense silence for a long moment. She could hear her own heart beating as she held eye contact with the immense figure before her as he looked right through her before seemingly nodding his head at her with the slightest tilt.

"We cannot allow your male to join you in your freedom. We will take him." No, you - A raised hand with gnarled skin stopped her mid thought. "Those are the terms. Otherwise, we execute you all."

Elisset did not know what to say. She opened her mouth but no words came out. Two tall figures in armour walked strode over and took hold of the hunter.

"No, please, don't..." Her aunt started to plead, but Elisset gripped her tightly and bid her to silence. She felt her aunt sob as she held her tight, so she embraced her and hugged her close to her chest, a tear rolling down her own cheek.

"Keep safe, my Queen, Princess." Was all the hunter said as he was carried away beyond the trees.

"Will he be harmed, my Lord?" Elisset asked.

"He will feel no pain." The Lord of the Forest answered without any emotion. Elisset held her aunt tighter as she felt her fall weak against her, a long pained moan emitting from her as she did. Mal walked close to them, and held out a drinking skin.

"Drink some of this. It will help with your grief." He said quietly. Should I trust him? His kin I should not. "For your aunt, at the very least. Please. It will help her." He offered again, gently thrusting the liquid in her direction as he spoke. She made her decision.

"Auntie, auntie, please. Take a drink." Elisset took the drinking skin and placed it on her aunt's lips as the tears streamed down her cheeks. She shook her head and cried out once more. Elisset let out a deep sigh, before tilting her aunt's head back and pouring the liquid into her mouth, causing her to splutter.

"Take it down, auntie." She said soothingly and watched as her aunt swallowed some of the liquid, before pouring more into her mouth. Some of the liquid spilled down her aunt's chin, and Elisset caught a hint of its aroma. A memory of chestnut blossoms and blackberries sprung to her.

Her aunt seemed to steady herself, and took a few deep breaths, tears still falling from her eyes, as she stood once more, unaided by Elisset.

Turning around she started to speak to the Lord of the Forest, but stopped when she noticed the empty throne and deserted terraces. The three great trees stood silently before her, the yellow-green lights now dimmed.

"Where have they all gone?" Elisset asked Mal.

"That is not for your kind to know. You have heard what the Lord of the Forest has said, now you must do his bidding. I will escort you to the edge of the forests. Follow me." He turned and began to walk.

"You cannot send me back to my home, I will be killed." She chased him down and grabbed his arm as she pleaded.

"I am taking you westwards, Queen Elisset. Away from harm." Mal pointed in the direction he was taking her, as if it should be evident to her.

"And what am I supposed to do in the West?" I will not run once more - I am a Queen, I should be leading, not fleeing!

"Whatever you want, that is not my concern." Mal responded, his tone irritating to her. He looked down at her hand, still on his arm, and she released him. "Hurry now, the people of the forest are not known for their hospitality."