Chapter 2

"You must hold the spear in a loose grip, your highness, hold it over your shoulder, that's it, and use your other hand to point where you want it to go, elbow straight, there. Keep your feet wide, and twist at the hips when you let fly. Yes! A great throw your highness!"

"When can I spear a boar? You've been training me for three days and the only thing that has been killed is my patience."

"In good time, your highness. I cannot allow you to come to harm, and the surest way I can do that is by training you as well as I can."

"You cannot allow me to come to harm, but you must also do as I say, hunter. I am your queen, after all."

"You are, your highness, but I cannot obey you if you are dead. You promised that you would listen and follow what I said."

"I said I would listen, not obey. I made no promise, other than to not make you break your vow." Elisset liked that the hunter squirmed at the words. He was a man of honour, despite his low status. "I ask of you, hunter, to show me how to kill a boar, today. I will not ask again."

"Very well, your highness. Stay behind me, and step where I step. Silence will be our cloak." She smiled at his words.

*****

"You did not think I could make the kill, did you, dear hunter?"

"I did not doubt your determination, your highness."

She looked at him and smiled.

"You are as careful with your words as you are with your strike, hunter. You do not need to say it, I can see in your eyes that you are surprised, and pleased, that I made the kill."

"You handled the spear well, your highness."

"It is not the first time I have handled a spear." She said in a bold voice, the excitement of the hunt still in her. "I have handled many spears before today. And I hope to grip many more." She bit her lip coyly, something she practised many times in the silver mirrors of the palace. The hunter cleared his throat.

"Well, I'm sure, your highness. I must dress the kill." He turned away.

"Do you deny me?" She asked firmly, but meaning no threat.

"I am too old for you, your highness."

"And too young for my aunt, some might say."

"I don't know my lady's years. It is not my place... I won't speak of her more, your highness."

Elisset watched as the hunter went back to the kill, slicing away to separate the skin from the meat, and smiled once more. She had made one kill today, and would like another, but she looked ahead and envisioned the outcome of her actions, seeing the threads of the tapestry she might weave, as her mother had taught her, and decided not to press any further. At least for now.