Chapter 7

"Who's Hunter?" The other girl stood up, hovering behind Persimmon's shoulder.

I could tell by the way she was still rubbing her hip that a bruise was going to form. Persimmon pushed her off really hard. Confusion was all over her face, but anger was starting to heat up mine. I couldn't let Persimmon win that easily.

So, I answered, "Hunter is Persimmon's boyfriend."

Next thing I knew, Persimmon lunged at me. She pushed me against a wall. My head slammed against the hard surface and I felt a ringing in my ears soon after. The grip she had on my shoulders was strong and uncomfortable.

"Keep your fucking mouth shut," Persimmon spat.

I should've been scared of her, but I was amused. She was scared. I was finally beating her.

Her breath smelled like alcohol and my grandfather who used to smoke cigarettes. Good girl Persimmon did all the bad girl things: drink, smoke, cheat on her boyfriend.

"He deserves to know," I said.

"Why? He's a guy. He'll probably cheat on me before we graduate anyway. And it better not be with you."

I couldn't believe how psychotic this girl was. I knew I disliked her, but this was reaching a new level.

The other girl was so distraught she ran out of the front door, away from the party.

Persimmon released her grip on me. She didn't even flinch when the girl left, a sign she didn't even care about the girl.

"Are you going to go after her?" I asked.

"No, she's a weirdo from Perris. Nobody will find out," she said with confidence.

Perris was a thirty minute drive from Riverside, a perfect place to find a side chick.

"So you chose her because you could easily discard her? Is that why you chose Hunter too?"

"No, I chose Hunter because he's hot and popular but also sweet and gullible."

That infuriated me. Hunter used to be sweet. He used to see the best in people. But she was ruining him and I couldn't stand for it.

"Let him go. He deserves someone as sweet and unassuming as him." My heart was pounding.

"No." Was all she said. She turned, whipping her hair in my face on purpose, and strutted back to the party.

I couldn't believe she was so confident I wouldn't say anything. She was one of those girls that thought the world would always bend to her will.

I charged back out to the party, right behind her. I was going to out her in front of everyone. But then, I saw his face light up when he saw her. I saw how happy he was to hug her. I froze. I didn't want to ruin it for him. I couldn't decide if I'd be a better friend by telling him or staying quiet.

I had time to decide. I had time to tell him.

Time didn't feel real after that. The minutes felt like hours, but the hour went by in the blink of an eye.

My mom finally texted me to say she was outside. I rounded up the girls. Then, I took a deep breath and approached Hunter and Persimmon.

"My mom's here," I said matter of factly. I tried my best to not sound suspicious. I had to come off as unaffected.

"I'm going to hang back," Persimmon said.

I wanted to ball my fist and land it on her jaw, but I knew that was a terrible idea. I couldn't imagine what she'd do with none of us here to catch her.

She lent Hunter a sweet kiss goodbye, then shot a devilish smile in my direction. This girl was pure evil.

"Why are you so quiet?" Nellie asked on the car ride.

"I'm just tired," I lied.

Nellie and Cara had been recapping the entire night. Occasionally, Forrest would hop in with information to either confirm or deny their gossip.

Little did they know, I was quiet because I was withholding the kind of gossip that would unravel the entire teenage population in our neighborhood. What I was holding in would make everyone question what they knew to be true.

The inevitable prom king and queen were far from perfect.

"Are you sure nothing happened?" My mom asked after dropping everyone off.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I said staring out the window. There wasn't much to see out there. Suburban homes, warehouses, trees, dirt, and an occasional strip mall. I convinced myself if I kept looking out the window I'd find something else to think about.

But all I could see was Persimmon's hands reaching behind that girl's neck, Persimmon lunging at me and growling in my face, Persimmon's manipulative smiles as she threaded her machiavellian webs.

I avoided Hunter the Monday after that terrible weekend. I did the same on Tuesday. We got really good at it.

I'd hear his footsteps come down the stairs as I opened the door. He'd assume I was going to the hallway closet or the kitchen, and redirect himself to the den. I'd get whatever I needed, and as soon as I opened the back door again, I would hear him get up and head for the kitchen.

It was sad the way we silently agreed to never speak.

But then, on Wednesday, I walked the toddlers outside for playtime while Hunter began twisting the knob to activate the water hose.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He had on a muscle tank that was so tight I could see his nipples. His basketball shorts were sagging and his Hanes peeked out above the waistband.

"My dad asked me to water the grass," he said coldly.

"But it's their outdoor time. We do it at the same time everyday. Find another time to water the grass," I snapped back.

"I know when playtime is. I also know they can play on the turf court," he sassed.

The water started to spray from the hose before I even got the chance to gather the kids. Muddy hair and soaked clothes flashed as a vision of my near future. I would have to intervene quickly. But, for some reason, rather than saying something productive, I snapped.

"If you know so much then you must also know your girlfriend is cheating on you with girls."

He dropped the hose and his face melted like a marshmallow. For a moment, he looked like he was going to cry.

But then he hardened again and said, "You're right, I did know that. We have an agreement."

I knew they didn't. If they did, Persimmon wouldn't have slammed me against a wall.

I walked to the end of the water hose snake and turned off the water.

Then, I said tenderly, "We both know that's a lie."

Our eye contact hovered, and all I wanted to do was hug him. It seemed, for a second, like we would.

But then, he stormed inside without another word and let the door slam behind him.

What did I just do?