Chapter Four

"Can you stay for dinner?" Auntie Coco asked me.

I pursed my lips. She could tell I was holding my tongue.

"She's much easier to stomach when there are voices to drown her out," Auntie Coco fussed.

"Are you referring to the blonde girl on your couch?" I asked drily.

Auntie Coco laughed.

"I don't know what he likes about her. There's nothing there," she responded.

"Maybe that's what he likes," I replied. Auntie Coco shook her head as we finished cleaning up.

"What did you think of her?" She asked.

"She looked me up and down and then asked Hunter who I was without directly addressing me or saying hello. So, I walked away without saying a word back," I told her.

Auntie Coco put her hand on her hip. She looked disgusted.

"That girl thinks she's better than everybody," she said disapprovingly. "But I'm making burgers with Uncle Freddie's signature barbecue sauce."

She knew that would hook me. My mouth dropped to an "O" shape. I was so excited I was lost for words. The way they collaborate on those burgers is more legendary than Tom & Jerry, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Peanut Butter & Jelly, or any of the other great pairings.

"Fine," I said. "But I can't promise to do anything other than eat."

"Just smack really loud every time she opens her mouth so I don't have to hear her," she fussed.

We both shared a hearty laugh. For so long, I saw her as this larger than life woman with superpowers the way she was able to take care of all of us. It was so nice to finally be eye level with her. To see the wrinkles forming at her smile lines and the dark circles under her eyes. She wasn't a magical being, she was just a really good human. I'd do anything to make her life easier.

We sat out back on the patio. Auntie Coco delivered our burgers one by one, fresh off the grill. All of the dressings and condiments were at the middle of the table. I remember from elementary school, this was where everyone had to be tough. If you were too shy, like I was, your burger would be cold by the time it was your turn to sprinkle some ketchup on your patty.

So, I was aggressive.

"Wow, someone must be hungry," the blonde girl said with a snarl.

"I'm sorry, what's your name?" I snapped.

Forest choked. I saw Auntie Coco out of the corner of my eye. Her shoulders were bouncing. I knew she was laughing.

I wasn't a fan of mean girls, and definitely never wanted to be one, but this girl was about to turn me into one.

"I'm Persimmon," she said.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. "Like the fruit?"

"And just as sweet as one," Hunter defended, planting a kiss on her cheek.

Everyone looked away, even Uncle Freddie who loved everyone. He was so nice he would ask solicitors and spam callers how their day was doing.

"You have to live a very sad life if you spend your days trying to swindle money out of people. Kill them with kindness," he'd whisper to me after Auntie Coco would fuss at him for entertaining them. She thought they'd track down our location and start kidnapping the kids.

Auntie Coco had a way of blowing things out of proportion.

This was clearly Persimmon's first barbecue at Auntie Coco's because her burger was still dry. Meanwhile, I took my first juicy bite.