Chapter Five

I spent the evening imagining scenarios where we ended up together. Auntie Coco and my mom would cry at our wedding.

Auntie Coco would speak at the reception, saying, "I always knew they were end game. They were made for each other."

Life would be easy, simple. If only things weren't so complicated now.

He didn't speak to me when he'd pass me in the house the next day.

But when I had to grab a sweater for Auntie Coco, he walked out of the shower just as I walked out of her room.

I dropped the sweater like an idiot. His shirt was off, and he only had on basketball shorts. I sucked in a breath. Is that what they mean when they say 'he took my breath away'?

Ew.

I was cringing at myself for being so mushy.

Even facing each other in the same hallway, he didn't say a word. But neither did I. We held eye contact for longer than Persimmon would've liked. I searched his face for the look he gave me the night before when he was practicing with his band, but I didn't see it.

I wondered if I imagined it.

I got the idea to say, "I like your band." But instead, I remained frozen. He made a move first, and walked to his room as if I wasn't even there.

On my way to the stairs I passed his room. His door was slightly ajar. Instead of continuing to the stairs, I hovered.

I heard Forest say, "What time does your gig start tonight?"

"I go on at 8:30," Hunter sighed like Forest was bothering him.

They had one of those bathrooms that connected their rooms so it was easy for them to bother one another.

"Okay, I'll be there at 815 on the dot," Forest said excitedly.

I pulled out my phone hurriedly to text my group chat with Cara and Nellie, but like butter fingers my phone slipped out of my hand.

I tried to pick it up as quickly as possible but the thud had already ratted me out.

Two sets of footsteps quickly approached Hunter's door and when he swung it open I'm sure I looked guilty as charged.

"Why are you still up here?" He asked drily, as if he didn't really care what my answer was.

"Ummm, I got stuck scrolling. I needed a break from the kids," I lied. It was a good lie. I would pat myself on the back if it weren't a strange thing to do.

"I don't know how you do it everyday with all those kids," Forest joked.

He was always the pin that popped the swelling balloon of tension.

"I should get back," I say, using it as my excuse to get out of there.

But on the way down, I made sure to text Cara and Nellie: Want to see some bands tonight?

Cara quickly replied: Gross, I hate sweaty music boys.

I had to think of a quick response to reel them back in.

So, I said: But the friends that come to support them are hot.

Nellie said: Touché, I'm in.

I knew once Nellie said she was in, Cara would follow suit. And she did. I didn't have a plan for what I would do or say once I was there, but I had the rest of the afternoon to figure it out.

I invited Cara over to help me choose an outfit. I knew how to dress for myself but I sucked at dressing for boys. Luckily, that was Cara's specialty.

"You don't want to look like you care too much," she said as she perused my closet. "What kind of guy are you trying to attract?"