5 - Split

Eggman didn't seem to appreciate the absolute hell the team went through . . . and team meaning Fang and his bike. Luckily, he finished fixing his bike in Eggman's base.

Then it's back to the grind!

Fang, Bean, and Bark pushed through the remaining jobs. In spite of how much more difficult those jobs were, Bean and Bark did better those times around, with Bean listening to half of Fang's instructions and Bark using hand gestures to communicate with him somewhat.

At the end of the week, Eggman and Fang discussed payment, as promised. The doctor clacked away at a calculator.

"So considering the ten jobs you completed this week, minus the one you screwed up and the one where Bean destroyed half of my Badniks . . ."

Bean had his legs crossed on top of Bark's shoulder. "What? They were in the way?"

Fang eyerolled, not bothering to talk to Bean. "Uh-huh?"

Eggman printed out a receipt and handed it to Fang. "3,200."

Fang squinted at the receipt, sucking his teeth. He tried to ignore the 500 that was subtracted from the total. "Alright then, good enough." After the week he had, arguing with a technical genius like Eggman was the last thing he wanted to do.

Then the Egghead practically kicked the team out, no thanks or anything. But at least they had money.

"A job well done!" Bean announced.

Fang grumbled as he looked into the bag of cash: "Yyyyup. Very well done. If this is 3,200, you two would get 1,600." He spent about five minutes sorting out the cash; he really doesn't want to take any longer. Not with those bucketheads looming over him.

When they weren't looking, he slipped an extra two hundred under his hat. Then he shoved their cut of the money to Bark's chest.

"There ya go. Happy trails, Merry Christmas, get outta my sight." Fang jumped onto his Marvelous Queen, putting his cut in a storage compartment and starting the engine.

"Happy Hanukkah to you too, bucko!" Bean blew a loud raspberry at Fang, accidentally getting some spittle on Bark's cheek. "Wait, wanna give us a ride back to—"

"Nah." And just like that, a cloud of smoke is left behind.

Maybe they should've stolen his bike.

Bark sighed heavily, shoulders relaxing. He somehow fit the cash into the folds of his scarf. Drops of water started falling on the duo's heads, weighing them down.

"Don't worry bud, I know a shortcut through Spiral Hill Village! We'll probably need some disguises though." Bean hopped down from Bark's shoulder and marched onwards through the long grassy terrain. Riiight, Eggman's bases were pretty much surrounded by empty land, sometimes isolated by oceans. Great. "Lemme know if you get tired, I'll carry you."

Bark chuckled and followed Bean. His enthusiasm is the only thing keeping him alive right now.