Chapter 9 The UnJust Servant

It was the day of the trial, and we went to the throne room where the trial was to be held. Glozelle came up to us.
"King Peter," he said, "Please, show mercy to my dead sister's daughter she's all I have left of my sister."
Peter sighed, "You'll have to talk to my brother about that."
"Where is Edmund?" Ruth asked.
"I'll find him," I said, leaving the room. I found my brother pacing around in the courtyard.
"What are you doing?" I inquired, "The trial is soon to begin."
"Just thinking," he replied.
"About what?" I asked.
"My verdict," he answered, "if only I just could get it over with now, but of course, Narnian law requires a fair trial for the convict."
"What will you do?" I asked, sitting down on the stairs.
"Show her the justice she deserves," Edmund said.
"Justice," I sighed, "What about mercy? What about showing her the mercy that was shown to you," I looked him straight in the eyes.
"What?" He questioned confused.
"You know what I mean. Have you ever heard of the unjust servant," I said.
Edmund sat down beside me, "I might have heard of it, but I don't remember."
"Well, there once was a servant who owed his king ten thousand talents. The king told the servant he would be sold if he did not repay the debt. He fell on his knees and begged for mercy, and the king showed mercy and cancelled his debt. Then that servant went to find one of his fellow servants who owed him 100 pence. He demanded ay his debt, but the servant said he couldn't, so the servant threw him into prison until he repaid his debt. When the king heard of it, he was enraged and punished the unjust servant and freed the other servant. Sounds familiar?" I explained.
"Who's the unjust servant?" Edmund asked.
"You," I replied, "You're that unjust servant."
"My name is King Edmund the Just," he retorted, scoffing.
"But your actions are unjust; I was that unjust servant a little while ago; please, show mercy. Just like you were shown mercy," I replied.
Edmund didn't say anything, but at least he was thinking about what I had said. During the trial, we all were made to witness. Edmund's face remained cold, all I could see was anger towards Thornea.
"What is your verdict, King Edmund," the accuser asked.
"I'll let her go," he answered, "As my sister wishes," he said.
A grin spread across Thornea's face, "You mean I'm free?"
"Yes, you're free," Edmund told her angrily, before leaving the room, "Thank my sister, don't thank me."
The smile on my face disappeared. Edmund may have shown mercy in court, but in his heart, he hadn't.
We all gathered for dinner together that night. Some were celebrating Thornea's freedom, and others were upset.
"So what made you do it?" Caspian asked, "Letting Thornea go free."
"Verity," Edmund answered miserably, "She wanted her to go free."
"Why?" Susan asked, "After everything she'd done to you.."
"7x70, "I answered.
Everyone exchanged confused looks.
"We should forgive 7x70," I explained." and again."
"What have you been writing about lately?" Leona asked, changing the topic.
"I don't write anymore," I stated.
"Why," this was the first time Lucy heard this, "You always write."
"There's no point if people will burn your books anyways," I sighed, "But let's not talk about that now. It's only a few more weeks when Cair Paravel will be completed."
"And then we will have Caspian's coronation," Leona replied.
"Oh, don't remind me," Caspian groaned, "It makes me nervous, I don't feel I'm ready yet."
"None of us felt ready," Peter stated.
"We didn't choose him; he chose us," I said, "But we chose to obey him."
"Caspian," began his sister, "When are you going to look for a queen to accompany you?"
Susan hung her head as Caspian looked over at her.
"Leona, none of the others are married so why should I," he retorted.
Susan got up and left the room.
"What's wrong with Susan," Ruth asked.
"Nothing, I'm sure," I replied casually.
Peter gave me that questioning look, and I hung my head. I did know there was something wrong, but I wasn't going to get involved in this problem.
"Dessert anyone," one of the servants asked.
We all shook our heads, everyone seemed to be struggling with a different problem.