Chapter 12 Thornea's Conversion and Oliver

"So what is the story about?" Leona asked as she and my younger sisters gathered in my room.
"I'll need four actors," I stated."I'll be the first servant."
"I can be the jailer," Ruth answered, "He doesn't have many lines."
"You can be the king, Leona," I said, "And Lucy you can be the second servant."
"Why do I have to be a boy?" Asked Lucy annoyed.
"We all are acting as boys," I replied.
"Can't Edmund have my part?" Lucy inquired.
"Edmund doesn't have time, please, Lucy," I pleaded.
"Alright," she sighed reluctantly.
"Good, then let's rehearse," I clasped my hands excitedly.
"What are you all doing?" Thornea came into my room.
"You should knock, you know," Leona said, upset.
"It's alright," I answered, "You want to watch us rehearse?"
"Sure," she replied.
After we had practiced the whole play, Thornea gave us a round of applause.
"When are you doing it?" She asked.
"At the coronation," Ruth replied.

"Alright, we finished," I said excitedly, "Everyone practice your lines, the coronation is in three days."
After the girls left, except for Thornea, I began cleaning up.
"I wanted to give you this back," Thornea handed me the ring, I had given her.
"No, it's yours," I shook my head, "I gave it to you."
"All I did was offend your sister," she answered,
"I don't deserve it, I never did."
"It's a gift," I handed it back to her.
"Who would give me, a terrible wicked girl, a gift," she scoffed.
"Aslan," I said, "He died for you."
"Died for me?" Thornea was confused.
"He died for sinners, Thornea, you are a sinner. I am a sinner saved by his grace, his love," I explained."All you need to do is accept that gift. You'll never be worthy of what Aslan offers to you. It's free, Thornea; you need to only believe in him, repent, and follow him. Then, you are saved. Saved by grace and all because of his love. His love is greater than the things you had done."
Tears ran down her face, "I'm sorry and thank you for telling me there is hope, there is redemption. I want to follow him."
The girl who had walked into my room that day returned a completely different person. She wasn't as miserable as she used to be. The whole of Cair Paravel was sore, confused at what had changed. Her uncle, who she now called Father, almost fell off his chair when she hugged him and cried on his shoulder. Thornea had never been an emotional person. Everyone thought she had none except anger because she was always angry, but her anger had disappeared.

Three days later, after the coronation, we performed the play. The audience cried at the truth of the story, people crying at my stories. I also had handed humor, because laughter worked well with tears.
After the play, I stood aside as the ball began. The boring part. I watched as Susan danced with Caspian. She hadn't told him yet, but I knew they had formed some deep affection for each other. And we'd be leaving soon, Susan might choose to leave us. I couldn't bear to think about it.
I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a boy come towards me. I tried to hide, I wasn't in the mood for dancing with some boy I didn't know.
"Are you playing hide-in-seek?" I froze and turned to find a boy around my age.
"No," I shook my head, "I'm just watching."
"So am I, I don't really know anyone here, you must be..."
"Queen Verity," I shook his hand vigorously."Oh, sorry, my sister told me not to shake hands."
"I'm sure it doesn't matter, I'm Oliver," he answered, "Lord Aryan's son. I loved your play, was there a moral in there?"
"Of course, all my writing has one," I nodded.
"You wrote it?" He asked.
"Yes, I write professionally," I replied.
"I've never met a Queen who wrote stories," he commented.
"Why shouldn't I ?" I asked, "I mean it has been my dream my whole life to be a writer."
"So let me get this straight there's four queens and three kings now?" He inquired.
"I know it's confusing," I nodded, "My brother Peter is the High King, he has the most authority, except he is subject to the High King of all Kings, Aslan."
"You mean that talking lion?" He asked.
"He's more than a talking lion," I answered, "He changes lives."
"Verity," Leona came up to us," Edmund wants to know" as she stopped when she saw Oliver, "Hello, Oliver."
"Good evening, Princess Leona," he bowed."It has been a while has it?"
"Yes," she nodded.
"What did Edmund want?" I asked.
"He wants someone else to keep Thornea company," she explained.
"Why is he keeping her company?" I inquired,
"Oh, right, Susan."
"Shall I come with you, Queen Verity?" Oliver asked, "I really have nothing else to do."
"If you want," I replied.
I found my brother and Thornea had the back garden.
"Well, it's no use just sitting here," Edmund mumbled, "Do you mind dancing."
"Ow!" He yelped.
"Don't you dare, Edmund," she threatened.
We found them sitting in the garden, glaring at each other.
"You wanted me, Ed?" I asked, sitting down beside my brother, "This is Oliver."
"Good evening, Your Majesty," he said to my brother.
"Good evening," he replied coolly.
"So Oliver?" I asked, "Where do you live?"
"A few miles from here," he answered, "We're practically neighbours, I suppose."
"Then you should come over more often," I said, walking over to a tree, "Anyone want an apple."
"I don't want to steal," Thornea shook her head,
"That's what your brother would call it."
"I'll take one," Oliver answered.
I threw one at him, "Good catch! So." I handed Edmund an apple, before biting into one of my own."You know Leona."
"Yes, I used to visit them with my Father, but that was before their father died. You see my father and Miraz were enemies." He explained,
"We moved to a small village away from the controversy."
"Everyone seems to have been enemies with Miraz," Edmund stated, "I mean he was a cruel man."
"A villain more like," I answered.
"I used to call him...well never mind. It isn't a proper word anyway," Thornea answered.
"See I told you she did change," I whispered to my brother.

"Are you sure you shouldn't have been dancing?" Caspian asked as he helped Susan sit down in the back room.
"Maybe, my leg wasn't completely well," she groaned. She peered out the curtain, "She isn't standing around anymore. She's talking to a boy!"
"Who?" Caspian asked confused.
"Verity," she exclaimed, she gasped, "She shook his hand! I told her it wasn't proper."
"Why isn't it proper?" Caspian inquired.
"It isn't proper that's all," she said.
"No, she's crossing her arms!" Susan was horrified, "Can't she act like a normal person!"
"Alright, Susan, maybe you shouldn't be spying on your sister," Caspian closed the curtains.
"How's your leg?"
"Fine," she groaned, "Fine." She looked at Caspian for a moment, "Caspian, I need to tell you something." It was best she told him
"What?" He asked.
"Or should I call you King Caspian?"
"It doesn't matter," he shook his head.
"I...well..."
But Caspian interrupted her by moving closer to her, his lips about to touch hers.
"Excuse me." They turned around and there was Peter."What was that, Caspian?"
"Peter, I'm sorry, if..." Caspian got up.
"I don't care if you love my sister and she loves you. She's too young." He yelled.
"Peter!" Susan cried, "I'm not too young! I love Caspian and he loves me!"
"You're not considering marriage!" He retorted,
"She's sixteen and you're too early in this relationship. You just started."
He wrapped an arm around Susan, "I'm sorry, Susan, but Caspian isn't the right man for you."
"Peter, you don't understand." She pulled loose from his grip. She ran upstairs or rather limped to her. This was one of the most humiliating moments of her life.