Chapter 14 It's Over

That evening I found Susan in her room, crying on her bed.
"Susan!" I said, "What's the matter?" Sitting down beside her.
"Everything!" She cried.
"Oh, Susan," I sighed, wrapping an arm around her.
"But you won't understand," she said, "You never do."
"Just tell me what happened," I answered, "Isn't that what sisters are for."
"Sisters that understand me!" She snapped.
I crossed my arms, "Oh, so I don't understand you."
"You completely ruined your reputation today. And you didn't show any sign of remorse," she retorted.
"I didn't," I answered upset, "And I don't care about my reputation anymore. It was prison worrying about it and I'm free now. I have Jesus and he doesn't care whether I shake hands instead of curtsy!" I got up," Susan, I wish you would know the freedom I have. Christ is enough!"
"I don't want freedom, I just want things to go as I want," she replied.
I left the room, going to my room. I sank into my chair, leaning back. I didn't understand it was true, but Susan couldn't just stay in this state. She had to be set free.
"Oh, Lord!" I cried out, "Show her the truth!"
"Verity," Peter came in, "What's wrong?"
"It's Susan," I replied, "She's angry."
"I know and it's my fault," Peter sighed, "I told Caspian he couldn't..."
"What?" I asked.
"We'll be going back home soon," he explained, "And I don't want Susan to be hurt all over again. She'll have to leave Caspian."
I looked up at my older brother, who sat down at my feet. I wound my arms around him, placing my head on my shoulder, "What if she chooses to stay?"
"Then we all stay," Peter replied; he squeezed my hand, "I know how you feel; having your older sister fall in love again means we will have to leave her behind. I thought you and Susan despised each other."
"The only thing that would make you think that is the fact that we argue a lot," I grinned, "Because we're completely different."
"I suppose you're right; I mean, in the past year, we did nothing but argue, but I love you, Verity. What brother wouldn't love a sister as ambitious and headstrong as you."
"You have three other sisters and a brother, Pete," I said, "What about them?"
"I love all of you," he answered, "Because you all are so different. Susan is gentle and beautiful, Edmund is adventurous and wise, Ruth is timid and kind, Lucy is sweet and imaginative."
"And you, you are the best most wonderful oldest brother ever," I said, "Even though you are a bit too protective."
Peter laughed, "Someone needs to take care of the rest of you."

The next day, Edmund found Thornea in the garden again.
She whipped around when she saw him, "I didn't steal anything!"
"I know," he nodded, "I just wanted to tell you..."
He looked down at the floor. The words, though hard to say, came out, "I forgive you, Thorne; it's over."
The look on the girl's face, "You mean you don't hate me?"
"No," he shook his head, "I forgive you."
He was about to walk away, when Thornea ran into his arms, crying. Edmund almost stumbled over, but he wrapped his arms around her.
"Thank you," she cried, "Thank you."
"You are welcome," he said stiffly.
As he left, he found Verity waiting at the gate.
"I knew you'd do it," she grinned.
"Well, she didn't kill you did she," he replied.
"That isn't a reason not to forgive," She gave him a look, punching his arm.
Edmund wrapped an arm around her shoulders and the two walked away, cheerfully talking about yesterday's events.