[17]

The cold bite into Aemmas skin as she huddled towards the flame, despite the thick white furs adorning her shoulders. Her, Jace, and a party of northerners -including Cregan- were currently camped along the Kings Road towards The Wall.

Aemma stood out like a sore thumb. Not only was she the only woman, but her silver hair glistened in the setting sun, setting her out from all the men.

The men chat amongst themselves. Jace intently listening to the Northerners surrounding him. A soft proud smile crept onto Aemma's face. Her moment of appreciation was abruptly interrupted by the sound of crunching twigs and rustling of trees. The sound reverberating of the leaves, dancing around the shadows.

Aemmas head jerked towards the noise. Her almost-numb fingers paused midair between her and the small plate of meat.

A soft gasp left Aemmas frost ridden lips. Ice trickled into her blood, her feet planted in the snow.

Eyes.

Pale blue orbs stared right back at her.

Aemmas breaths became shallow as all the colour drained from her face, her heart beating furiously against her ribcage. Her body flinched as a warm hand lightly grazed her back.

"No need to fear, Princess. She won't bite." Cregan started, amusement lacing his words. Confused, Aemma slightly turned her head to peer at Cregan, eyebrows furrowed. "Come!"

Almost as a reflex, Aemmas hands reached for Cregans cloak as a wolf pounded out from behind the shadows. Dire wolf. "Princess, this is Winter."

Aemmas eyes darted from Winter to Cregan and back to Winter. The wolf's coat was as white as the snow that layered the ground, except for the crimson liquid that dripped from its snout. Even on all fours Winter's height almost met Aemmas chest.

Despite her heart being in her stomach Aemma could not deny the fact that Winter was beautiful. Menacingly beautiful.

"She is..." Aemma trailed off unable to find a word worthy enough of describing the wolf.

"Terrifying?"

"No. No, well yes, but... she is stunning." Aemmas eyes gleamed as she appraised the predator.

"Thats not the word most people use."

˚. ✦.˳·˖✶ ⋆.✧̣̇˚.

Aemma adjusted her furs as she walked side-by-side with Cregan atop the path leading towards the edge of the wall. The coldness here was unlike any other, she felt the frost to the very marrow of her bones. Her cheeks, nose and ears a light pink. The only source of heat was the temporary flood of warmth when Cregans fingers lightly touched hers as they walked.

"This is only a late summer snow, My Princess, in winter it will cover all you see. All memories of warmth will be forgotten."

Aemmas lips parted slightly in shock, causing Cregans eyes to dart down. Aemma was quick to turn straight on, hoping Lord Stark had missed her now reddening cheeks.

They walked in silence, until Aemma found herself staring off the seven-hundred-foot wall of ice. "It was His Grace, King Jahaerys and Queen Alysannce who once stood right at this very outlook." Cregans voiced slightly muffled through the harsh winds. Standing this close Aemma could feel the heat emanating off him.

"Yes, they watched as their dragons refused to cross it." She replied, a shiver running up her spine at a distant memory.

Aemma had had a vague dream that she can only recall few things she saw. A burning sword, breaking of ice and... grief.  Most dreams only ever elicit fear out of Aemma but this particular dream she had felt the devastation tug at her heartstrings. She could remember that.

"I am surprised you had not attempted to cross it aback your beast."

"Cannibal does not... appreciate the cold, and I wanted to be close to Jace- Prince Jacaerys." Aemma turned to glance at Cregans side profile, only to be met with his brown eyes staring straight back. She fought a small smile, as she shuffled her feet to face the walls edge again. "Even if I wanted to try, I do not believe he will cross. I know that. I think."

"My Lord." A mans voice said behind them, taking Cregans attention and warmth away.

It was then as Aemma stood, gazing out over the wall that it dawned on her. A nervous sweat broke out in the palms of her hands. The ending to the dream she had remarkably remembered moments before.

Dragons cross the wall.

˚. ✦.˳·˖✶ ⋆.✧̣̇˚.

Authors note ྀིྀིྀིྀིྀི

I am so sorry for no chapters recently, I lost motivation to write and then all my exams and everything butttt now I am on break so hopefully I can finally get back to writing (and work on other things🤭).

I also want to say thank you for 23 THOUSAND reads, I don't even think I can process that like it's crazyyy. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!

I know this chapter isn't the best but I will admit it is slightly rushed so I could get to the next chapter because I have been thinking about it for agesssss.

LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE🤍