3

"You've got to be kidding me," Cora muttered under her breath.

"This is some kind of joke, right?" Jacob said at the same time, his disbelief obvious.

The tension between Cora and Jacob reached a new height when their chemistry teacher announced a major group project. Much to their dismay, they were paired together.

Mrs. Collins, their chemistry teacher, looked at them with a serious expression. "No, it's not a joke. You two will work together, and I expect you to put your differences aside for the sake of your grades."

Cora and Jacob exchanged frustrated glances. The room grew quiet as the reality of their situation set in. Cora's face showed annoyance, while Jacob's expression was a mix of anger and resignation.

Mrs. Collins continued, unshaken by their reaction. "This project is important for your final grade. I expect you both to work well together and be professional. You'll need to turn in a detailed report and give a presentation at the end of the month. Any personal issues should be dealt with outside of class."

As she handed out the project guidelines, students around them began whispering and giggling, eager to see how Cora and Jacob would manage to work together. Cora and Jacob took the papers reluctantly, their faces showing a mix of dread and determination.

After the bell rang and the classroom emptied, Cora and Jacob found themselves alone at their lab table, staring at the project sheets. The silence between them was heavy.

Cora finally spoke up, her voice irritated. "So, how do you want to handle this? Or should we just make this as miserable as possible?"

Jacob, looking frustrated, replied, "I shouldn't be surprised. You always find a way to make things difficult."

Cora shot back, "And you never miss a chance to be annoying. But we both want a good grade, so let's just get this done."

Jacob sighed and nodded in defeat.

"We should focus on the chemical reactions involved in everyday products," Cora suggested, already pulling out a notebook filled with ideas.

Jacob leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. "Or we could do something more interesting, like the chemistry behind sports performance."

"Of course, you'd think that's interesting," Cora snapped. "This project is about science, not your ego."

Jacob's eyes narrowed. "And here I thought nerds were supposed to be open to learning new things."

+++

As the project continued, their bickering turned into a more cooperative effort. They were still competitive, but they managed to work together. Their rivalry began to shift into a kind of uneasy partnership.

When the project was due, Cora and Jacob stood together for their presentation, with their work displayed behind them. As they spoke and answered questions, it was clear that their relationship had changed. While they were still rivals, they had learned to work together and respect each other's strengths.