7

The early spring air was crisp, carrying with it a hint of the blooming flowers and fresh beginnings. Cora and Jacob's newfound friendship was flourishing, their bond growing stronger each day. 

+++

With the history project behind them, Cora and Jacob found themselves spending more time together outside of academic obligations. Their interactions moved beyond the confines of the classroom, and their time together became less about projects and more about discovering each other's worlds.

One Saturday, they decided to check out the local farmers' market, a favourite spot for Cora. Jacob had been curious about the vibrant stalls and eclectic array of goods, and Cora was excited to share her favourite market with him.

As they wandered through the market, Cora excitedly pointed out her favourite vendors. "This is where I always get the best apples. They're from a local orchard, and they taste amazing," she said, handing Jacob a crisp apple.

Jacob took a bite, nodding in approval. "Wow, you weren't kidding. These are incredible."

They strolled through the market, tasting different samples and chatting about everything from school to their favourite movies. Jacob, who usually came off as reserved, found himself opening up more. "You know, I've never been much for farmers' markets. I always thought they were overrated. But this is pretty cool."

Cora laughed, teasing him. "See? Sometimes trying new things can be fun."

They continued their exploration, stopping to watch a local band playing folk music and grabbing lunch from a food truck that specialised in gourmet tacos. As they sat on a bench, eating and enjoying the music, Cora glanced at Jacob, a contented smile on her face.

"I'm really glad we did this," she said. "It's nice to hang out like this without any of the usual pressure."

Jacob met her gaze, a smile tugging at his lips. "Yeah, it is. I didn't realize how much I'd been missing out by not trying things like this."

Their conversation flowed effortlessly, and as they headed back to their respective homes, they both felt a sense of warmth and connection that went beyond their earlier rivalry.

+++

A few weeks later, Jacob found himself facing a personal issue that he hadn't anticipated. His family was going through a rough patch; his parents were dealing with financial stress that had begun to weigh heavily on him. The tension at home was palpable, and Jacob felt overwhelmed by the situation.

One evening, as he sat in his room, staring at a pile of textbooks that he couldn't bring himself to focus on, he received a text from Cora. She'd been curious about his recent lack of enthusiasm and had reached out.

Hey, Jacob. You've seemed a bit off lately. Everything okay?

Jacob hesitated before typing a response. He wasn't sure if he wanted to share his troubles, but he also knew that keeping it to himself was not helping. He took a deep breath and replied.

Not really. My family's been going through a tough time, and it's been hard to concentrate on anything.

Cora's reply was immediate, and her concern was evident in her words.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you want to talk about it? I'm here if you need someone to listen.

Jacob, feeling a mix of relief and apprehension, decided to take her up on her offer. He agreed to meet her at a local café the next afternoon.

+++

When they met, Cora noticed the strain in Jacob's eyes immediately. They ordered their drinks and found a quiet corner where they could talk.

"I'm really sorry to hear about what's been going on," Cora said gently as they sat down. "You don't have to go into details if you don't want to, but I'm here for you."

Jacob took a deep breath and started to talk. "It's just been a lot. My parents are stressed about money, and it's affecting everything at home. I feel like I should be doing more to help, but I don't even know where to start."

Cora listened intently, her empathy evident in her eyes. "That sounds incredibly tough. I can't imagine how stressful that must be. But just being there for your family, supporting them, is already a big thing. Sometimes, it's okay to not have all the answers."

Jacob nodded, his shoulders relaxing a little. "Thanks. I've been trying to hold it together, but it's hard when everything feels like it's falling apart."

Cora reached across the table and placed a comforting hand on his. "You don't have to do this alone. If you ever need to talk or just take a break, let me know. I'm here."

Jacob felt a wave of gratitude. "Thanks, Cora. It really means a lot to me."

Their conversation continued, with Cora offering support and advice where she could. It was clear that Jacob appreciated her presence and understanding. By the time they left the café, he felt a bit lighter, knowing that he had someone he could turn to.

_____________________

(805 words) Don't forget to vote!!