Chapter 36

The next morning, Sara and Kartik sat together at the breakfast table. The light filtering through the kitchen window cast a warm glow on the table. Kartik appeared preoccupied, his mind distant as he stirred his coffee absently.

"Kartik kal kya hua...Ritwik agar woh nahi hain jo hum soch rahe the to phir..."

"Haan?" he asked as he was lost in his own thoughts so she had to repeat.

"Haan woh nahi hain...aaj office main bohot kaam hain" he replied shortly.

Sara noticed his discomfort and felt a pang of unease. "Tumhe kuch pata chala?" she pressed gently, hoping for some clarity.

"Nahi jyada kuch nahi"

She hummed. He finished his coffee and went to get dressed for the office. She just noticed him fussing over a lost file. She wanted to help him finding but he didn't take her help also didn't find the file.

In the car, she asked, "Kartik tum kisi baat ko lekar pareshaan ho?"

"Baas tumhari safety ko lekar" he forced a smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. "aur kuch bhi nahi"

Sara nodded slowly, though the unease lingered. "Sab thik ho jayega" she said softly, deciding not to push further. She squeezed his hand a bit.

When they reach at office, everything was going as usual until an inspector came in the evening and went to his cabin. Sara didn't interrupt but when the inspector left, she couldn't hold herself back and went.

"Kartik kya hua? Ritwik ne kuch confess kiya Sameer ke baare main?" she asked entering inside.

"Nahi Sara...in fact he denied recognising him. Usne kaha mere kisi rival ne usse bheja as ab uss accident ke baare main sab ko hi pata hain news article ke jariye"

"Kaun hain yeh rival?"

"Hain koi paar intention baas darana tha chot pouchana nahi ese unka kehna hain though legal actions will be taken. To basically Sameer ka admi nahi tha" Kartik sighed.

"Kiuki woh tumhare piche padha hua hain" Sara said and he was playing with a paperweight.

"Padhe rehne do...I don't care...at least tumhe kuch problem na ho yeh sabse important baat hain" he said keeping his gaze fix on a paperweight which he was playing with.

"Paar Kartik he threatened me to ki..harm you"

He got up and went near her. She lowered her gaze to control the tears back which were threatening to spill.

He gently cupped her face and kissed her forehead.

"I love u" he whispered.

"I love you more" she replied looking into his eyes.

Suddenly a knock startled them apart.

"Sir may I come in?"

"Come in"

"Sir apne Sameer Rawat ki family details mangwai thi...yeh rahi" one of his men Faisal handed him a file.

"Accha tum jao" he instructed and he left with a nod.

"Tumne yeh sab kiu mangwai Kartik?" she asked.

"Kuch cheeze dekhne ke liye"

"Aaj raat ho chuki hain...kal dekh lena. Ab ghar chale?'

"Ok...chalo", he nodded.

She asked him to wait downstairs in the car as she needed to grab some files from someone.

As he left, she went to a girl sho was working.

"Varsha tum mujhe woh files dene wali thi woh abhi de do. Main ghar ja rahi hu"