Chapter 38

The morning light filtered softly through the curtains as they sat at the breakfast table, enjoying a rare moment of silence.

“Sara, I have a busy day ahead,” Kartik said, breaking the comfortable silence. “Even abhi jaate hi ek meeting hain to tum..."

Sara squeezed his hand reassuringly cutting his words. “I promise, I’ll be safe. You focus on your meetings and stop worrying about me so much.”

"I will keep checking on you but still..." he said.

"Ok" she smiled reassuring him.

As they entered in the office, Arav came and said,

"Sir chaliye woh log baas ane hi wale hain main files arrange kar deta hu. Apke cabin main..."

"No Arav direct conference room main chalo...waha hi maine sab thik karwa liya hain saari presentations and all"

"Ok sir" Arav nodded and well.

"All the best" Sara smiled and he smiled back before going.

The meeting went long and Sara was engrossed in a new thing when Kartik passed her with his clients to see them off. He stole a glance of her though she didn’t notice. He went back to his cabin.

Sara was engrossed in her work and suddenly Arav came,

"Mam...Woh Kiara mam..."

"Kya hua Arav?" Sara asked with concern.

"Kiara mam ka accident ho gaya hain" Arav said panicking.

"What? kab? kese?" Sara got up urgently.. Her heart skipped a beat.

"Mujhe phone aya tha abhi...aap mere saath chaliye...she needs u. A car hit her"

"Haan main baas ek bar Kartik ko...."

"Maine Sir ko bola hain ap baas chaliye"

Sara’s mind raced. She barely had time to think. “Okay, chalo” she said, her voice trembling.

Soon they got downstairs by lift and Sara sat on the back seat while Arav started the car. Sara felt a bad smell inside the car like smoking so she asked to spray some fresheners.

Kartik was in his cabin checking files when he saw the file with Sameer's details. He took it and started turning pages. Suddenly his eyes got stuck at a word and his eyes widened. He threw the file and went outside.

His heart nearly stopped finding Sara nowhere.

"Sara kaha hain?" he growled angrily and everyone's notice went to him.

"Sir...woh to chali gayi" a female employee stammered fearfully.

"Kaha gayi? kiske saath?"

"Sir Arav sir kuch der pehle Sara mam ko lekar gaye. Maine shuna ki unhone bola kisi Kiara ka accident ho gaya hain" an confident girl respond in details just like Kartik wanted.

Kartik quickly called Sid.

"Sid Kiara ka accident ho gaya hain?"

"Kya bol raha hain tu Kartik? Woh mere paas baithi hain abhi? kiu kya hua?"

Kartik threw the phone and it hit with a glass shattering it into pieces and everyone gasped.

"I should know it" he said angrily destroying a table nearby and ran outside. He jumped in his car and started driving. Sara's face was flashing in front of him throughout the way.

"Kartik kaha hain?" Varun and sid said in unison as they entered his office.

Someone narrated what happened and Varun dialed for his another phone quite a few times but there was no response.