Chapter 1

Vrushali: 

Karn's wife and Dushala's lady in waiting. She raised Dushala and was a pivotal person in the Kauravas upbringing. They fondly call her Jiji. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The palace of Hastinapur was decked like a new bride, a fury of servants rushing around with the final touches and huge thaalis of food. Flowers spread across the carpets, diyas glimmering like all the stars had come down to decorate the palace.

"I had specifically asked for rose petals. And keep the garlands ready. Also the royal angavastrams for the princes to wear should be of the softest silk."

The youngest Kuru Princess Dushala had been fretting over the arrangements  for the past week, running around the palace to get everything one.

"Rajkumari Dushala, please sit down and take a breath."

Dushala smiled at her trusted in lady-in-waiting and primary caretaker, Vrushali. "I can't calm down, Jiji. My brothers are coming home today."

The entire city was Hastinapur was rejoicing, impatiently awaiting their princes. The Princes of Hastinapur were completing their education and returning home after twelve long years.

Vrushali smiled, thinking to herself. I understand your excitement Rajkumari Dushala. When someone close to you leaves for a long time, their day of returning feels like Diwali and welcoming our Lord Ram.

Vrushali would know, she was awaiting her special person today as well.

"Usse apni manmani karne do Putri Vrushali, aaj meri Dushala kisi ki nahi manegi." A voice joined the two young women.

Vrushali smiled as Gandhari entered the room with Kunti. "Today her feet won't stay in one place so don't even try."

"Mata Gandhari." Vrushali bent down to take her blessings. Vrushali was fifteen when she first started working in the royal palace. Dushala was six and Duryodhan eight.

The young Princess had assumed Vrushali was one of her many siblings and started calling her Jiji. Which had resulted in the poor girl being petrified. A Princess calling a commoner Jiji? Vrushali was sure she was going to be exiled from the kingdom.

But Duryodhan had followed his dear baby sister's example and so did the Kauravas. Gandhari was more than happy to have another daughter she could dress up and admire.