𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘.

• • •

𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚌 𝚘𝚏 𝚗𝚎𝚠 𝚋𝚎𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜.

- 𝙼𝚎𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙴𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚝

𝑵𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓 1919

𝑺𝒎𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉, 𝑩𝒊𝒓𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒉𝒂𝒎, 𝑬𝒏𝒈𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒅

A young smiling lady walked down the dirty street of Small Heath. The new lady didn't belong there. It was obvious. She was like the shine of light in the darkest place on earth.

When Helen picked a random place on the map of England, she didn't expect it to turn out to be like this. Dirty, smelling, rotten, dangerous. But it's exactly how the city is. The first night here she regretted leaving her family in Austria and leaving for England. She even considered not unpacking her things and just take a train and a boat back home or a train to some other place in England, like London. But that would make her a coward. She in fact was a coward and was scared of many things, which made her not do many things. But she was trying to live a new life and trying not to be such a coward. So she stayed.

She opened a new account at the bank, into which she immediately deposited all her money. She unpacked her things and made herself home in her new apartment. She didn't unpack her clothes and shoes, since here in England it seemed that the fashion was so much different than she wore in Bohemia and Austria. So the next day after she unpacked her other things she paid a taxi to drive her to the city centre of Birmingham to the New Street where she spent great value for money on clothes and shoes and accessories.

Now when she was walking through the street, she finally fit in. She still looked too expensive and proper-like to fit in completely, but at least she didn't look like she was from the last century.

She always smiled at the people she walked past. Many looked at her weirdly, but some smiled back at her and some men tipped their hats in a greeting, at them she bowed with her head a little.

After some days in Small Heath, she was happy. No matter how disgusting, dirty and smelling the city was, how many of the people were rude, how there wasn't any happiness. She was happy. She was free. She learned to like it here in some way. She still doesn't like the city, but she slowly started liking her new life here.

She held in her hand this morning's newspaper, making her way to the tavern called Garrison. In this morning's newspaper she read that they are looking for help in the Garrison Tavern. Even though she had thousands on her account, she wanted to start working. To be like normal people. She never worked and she planned to try it. So when she found the pub she was looking for, she slowly pushed the door open and then opened the second one.

Since it was morning, there were no men. The only man was only the bartender, who was doing something.

She smiled and went to the bar counter, behind which was a bartender that was now looking at her too. In the pub there was silence which was broken only by the clicking of her heels. She walked to the counter. She placed her purse on it and leaned against it, right in front of the bartender.