Chapter 10: The Hecate Course

Professor Ignatio didn't say anything, just as Mimi had predicted he would. The most he did was give Sugar a small smile, as he gave him wandmaking instructions. Didn't even mention the whole walking out thing, and Sugar was thankful for it. The last thing he wanted right now was more attention on him. He could already hear the whispers coming from the back table...

Knight seemed to have noticed his discomfort too, as he began to tell him of Rosa's earlier mishap, in an attempt to make him feel better.

"So, she set metal on fire?" Sugar almost laughed at the rather ridiculous story Knight was relaying.

"It didn't really catch on fire, but it started smoking... a lot."

"Can you lot stop talking about this?" Rosa said, giving everyone else on the table a death stare, "Also, where the heck were you?" she added, now directing her words at Sugar.

"I was... doing stuff, it doesn't matter."

"So you were having a sulk about your Mana type." Rosa said with a knowing smirk.

"...shut up..."

The class was now finishing up, and most of the students were putting the final touches on their wands, Sugar included. Thankfully, Mineral witches didn't need a staff-length wand to be effective, so he didn't have too much time on the darn thing.

Hugo was already done, and was currently looking through the timetable.

"Hmm, it looks like we have flying class next. That's... exciting... I think."

"Flying? Oh, my mom hated that class. She still complains about it to this day," Sugar said with a frown, "I don't understand what's so bad about it."

"Uhm, maybe she had bad balance? Flying is really challenging if you can't balance correctly," Hugo offered.

"Or if she was scared of heights," added Rosa.

"There's no way she's scared of heights. Our coven is in the mountains." Sugar said with a frown, trying his best to glue the crystals onto his wand, but some of them, as if to mock him even more, simply refused to stick.

"Does it have to be brooms, or does any cleaning appliance work?" Knight asked, eyes wide and curious.

"Brooms?"

Hugo, Sugar and Rosa said the word in unison, incredulous and baffled expressions on their faces.

"What gave you that idea?" Sugar said, blinking rapidly

"Uhm... pop culture?" Knight said with a sheepish grin.

"Good grief, we're really going to have to teach you a lot."

✧༺✦✮✦༻∞  ∞༺✦✮✦༻✧

When the class had finished making their wands, Ignatio put them into storage, telling them that they needed to be checked and made up to safety standards, and that he'd begin the second part of wandmaking when they next had a class. And so, the students began making their way to the back field, excited, but also curious about their lesson.

"I wonder how they're gonna do this, since we don't have our wands," Sugar mused.

"They're just gonna teach us the safety protocols. And then we have to do a quiz on it when we come back next time," Rosa answered.

"Ah."

Sugar had to admit, having Rosa around was starting to become really useful. Any questions the group had about anything at Scarwood, she seemed to have a ready answer, thanks to her older siblings.