When morning came I was greeted by none other than my mate standing at the opposite side of the door, bouncing eagerly upon the balls of her feet. Before I could ask what had gotten her so excited this early in the morning she'd taken my hand within her own and pulled me down the stairs and through the main entrance as fast as her mortal feet could carry her. 

We were halfway through the gardens when the annoying voice of the High Lord rose from behind us, "No trip wires today?"

Feyre froze in front of me and I had to struggle to hold back the sigh of annoyance that begged to break free. 

"You said I was safe here. So I listened," my mate stated calmly. 

Tamlin's eyes narrowed slightly, but he put on what was more than likely his best—failed—attempt at a pleasant smile. "My morning work was postponed," he drawled out. Upon looking closer it was quite obvious it had been. His typical attire was gone along with his baldric, and the sleeves of his shirt had been rolled up to the elbows. "If you want a ride across the grounds—if you're interested in your new...residence, I can take you."

Again, that effort to exclude me while he tried to cozy up to my mate. Despite how agonizingly awkward each interaction was between them I had to give him credit, he was determined. If he was going through such lengths to separate us—to woo my mate, then there had to be a reason. There had to be a reason why he was so keen on keeping her here, Treaty or not. 

A bland smile graced Feyre's expression as she looked at Tamlin, "I'd prefer to spend today with Cyrilla, I think. But thank you for the offer." 

He tensed at the mention of my name, "What about—"

"No thank you," Feyre interrupted, and I couldn't help but bristle with pride at the audacity of the woman beside me.

Tamlin clenched his hands into fists, as though he was fighting against the claws that itched to burst out from betwixt his flesh. But he didn't reprimand either of us, didn't say anything or do anything else other than prowl back into the house without another word. Feyre turned towards me almost apologetically, opening her mouth no doubt to do so—despite it not being her fault. 

With a small glimmer of mischief to my eyes I quickly placed  a chaste kiss to her cheek, "I'm so proud of you Fey darling! Way to put that overgrown oaf in his place!" 

The several shades of red that danced across her face made dealing with Tamlin more than worth it. A smug smile spread across my lips as I gestured towards the direction we had been heading, "Lead the way Darling." 

No sooner had we made our way to the outcrop of buildings beyond the garden did we see Lucien atop a black gelding, grinning down at us. "Morning, Feyre. Morning Cyrilla." 

A small smile tugged at my lips as I nodded my head in greeting towards the male, "Mornin' Foxie."

Lucien chuckled in amusement at the nickname before turning his attention to Feyre. "Going for a ride, or merely reconsidering Tam's offer to live with us?" 

I waited for Feyre to say something as she was the woman with the plan, but nothing came from her mouth, her body eerily still as she tried to figure out her own thoughts. I nudged her lightly with my elbow, gesturing towards the horses and then back to Lucien with my eyes. Lucien however seemed to have caught onto our not so subtle, silent conversation. 

"Come now. I'm to patrol the southern woods today, and I'm curious about the...abilities you used to bring down my friend, whether accidental or not. It's been a while since I encountered a human, let alone a Fae-killer. Indulge me."

"Many thanks Little Fox, we'd be delated to join you on patrol." I smiled towards the male who gave a small smile, nodding back before gesturing towards a stable boy.