The Suriel before us froze, its body going rigid as it sniffed the air. Slowly it turned to face us upon my greeting, the dark veil of the cloak shrouding the rest of it from view. The Suriel had not faired any differently since the last time I had been graced with its presence. Its gaunt face still looked as if it had been formed of bone that had been warn through the ages, though then again perhaps it had. Its gnarled hands let go of the snare upon seeing the two of us, the milky-white eyes glowing with familiarity. 

"Ah, Mistress Nirvana. Goddess of Rebirth and Demise. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company? It has been many a millennium since your face last graced such weary bones—and with a mortal companion no less." it greeted, the voice of many yet none all the same.

"Did you set this trap for me Lady of Death? Or perhaps it was your mated? Come closer human, so that I might gaze upon the face of one who tempts the fates so." 

Feyre looked in my direction, her blue-gray orbs brimming with unasked questions at the revelation of the Suriel—mated, they were mated. Slowly she stepped closer to the corpse-like being. 

"Tell me mortal, if not the Lady of Death, which one of my brethren betrayed me?" It questioned, head tilting to the side as it peered towards Feyre.

"None of them. My mother told me stories of you."

"Lies—I can smell the lies on your breath," it hissed out, sniffing the air once more as if to prove its point, its fingers clacking together. "What would  a human woman want from the Suriel? Is the World Ender not good enough to answer your questions?"

"You tell me," Feyre's voice was soft as she stared determinedly at the faerie before us. 

It let out a low croaking laugh, "A test? A foolish and useless test, for if you dared capture me, then you must want knowledge very badly." 

Feyre's silence proved answer enough. Its lipless mouth pulling into a feline grin, the grayed teeth appearing horrifically large. "Ask me your questions, human, and then free me." 

"Is there—is there truly no way for me to go home?"

"Not unless you seek to be killed, and your family with you. You must remain here."

The overwhelming feeling of hopelessness crashed down upon the bond, rushing at me like the angry tide during a storm. I rested my hand gently on Feyre's shoulder, offering her a form of comfort. Feyre smiled slightly, though it didn't reach her eyes. "What do you know of Tamlin?" She questioned the Suriel.

"More specific, human. Be more specific. For I know a good many things about the High Lord of the Spring Court." 

"Everyone at the Spring Court is stuck wearing a mask, and yet you aren't...Are you not a member of the Court?" 

"I am a member of no Court. I am older than the High Lords. Older that the High Lords. Older than Prythian. Older than Cyrilla, older than the bones of this world." 

"And what can be done about this blight that has spread in Prythian, stealing and altering the magic? Where did it come from?" 

"Stay with you mate, human," the Suriel said. "That's all you can do. You will be safe. Do not interfere; do not go looking for answers after today, or you will be devoured by the shadow over Prythian. She will shield you from it, so stay close to her, and all will be righted." 

Feyre's eyes squinted slightly, her brows furrowing as she repeated, "Where did the blight come from?"

The milky eyes of the Suriel narrowed in turn, "The High Lord does not know that you both came here today, does he? He does not know that the human residing in his court came to trap a Suriel with a Death God, because he cannot give her the answers she seeks. But it is too late, human—for the High Lord, for you, perhaps for your realm as well..."