VIII

Finding my mate curled between the arms of the Lordling was the last thing I had expected to see when returning towards the estate. A faint rumbling of discomfort wormed it's way down the mate bond. It appeared that neither were aware to my presence yet, something I had no doubt that Tamlin hoped remained nonexistent. The Spring Lord had not been subtle with his dislike towards me. He had made it clear time and time again that his interests lay solely with my mate. The delusions of his thoughts practically echoed through the silence as if calling out to warn me of his nefarious desires. For some reason, Tamlin needed my mate—needed her to fall in love with him.

Letting out a cough, I alerted the two to my presence—the Lordling quickly releasing my mate, the slight whiff of fear permeating the air. 'Ah, so he was afraid of me? ' The thought brought forth a smug feeling of satisfaction, a feline grin spreading across my lips.

"Hello my Darling, did you miss me?" Feyre launched into my arms as soon as the words left my lips, her arms wrapping tightly around my torso.

"Cyri!! You're alright! I had geared the worst when I heard the screams. I'd wanted to turn back but Tamlin wouldn't let me. You're okay aren't you? No wounds right?" Feyre fretted, pulling away slightly to check me over, frowning at the sight of blood splattered across my skin.

"I'm fine, Darling," I assured her, smoothing her hair down as I lifted my gaze towards that of the Lordling. "This may be the only time you hear me say this Little Lord, but you have my thanks for ensuring Feyre's safety." 

Tamlin simply grunted at the appreciation, his gaze remaining focused on Feyre. "Do I want to know what you were doing out there? Why you abandoned Feyre? Why you're covered in blood?" He questioned sharply. 

"I thought we weren't confined to the house and garden. We didn't realize we'd come so far," Feyre snipped. 

Tamlin's gaze narrowed as he looked between the two of us, "On the days that I'm called away to deal with...trouble, stay close to the house." 

"Rest assured High Lord, your...trouble has been handled. They won't be bothering you any time soon," I grinned towards him, his brows furrowing as he frowned. 

"Let's go home." Tamlin turned away from us as he began to lead us towards the estate. 

The lingering scents of bergamot and citrus clung to the air, the once scalding water of the tub had long since cooled to a tepid degree. It had been roughly two hours since we'd returned to the Spring estate. Roughly an hour and a half since I had submerged myself in the hellish waters within the ensuite of my room. Approximately an hour since I had scrubbed my skin raw from the Naga blood that had tainted it. I knew I was clean long before now, but the comforting silence surrounding me was enough to keep me prolonging my bath. 

With a small sigh I pulled myself from the waters, toweling myself dry before pulling on a pale rose gown. I left my hair its loose waves, my feet bare as I padded back downstairs and towards the dining hall. The hall itself was in its usual state—table covered in steaming dishes of food, wine filling the glasses and the usual duo of High Fae sat in their typical spots. Feyre was already there when I stepped through the door, her face lighting up in a bright smile as soon as she saw me. 'Gosh, my mate is just so cute.' I grinned to myself as I slid into a seat by Feyre. 

"Good evening everyone," I said, reaching out to grasp the wine glass nearest my plate. Lucien cocked his head in a way of silent enquiry, and I gave him a subtle wink while his High Lord was focused on Feyre. His secret was still safe.

Lucien slouched into his chair in relief, "I heard you three had a rather exciting afternoon. I wish I could have been there to help." 

Ah, a hidden—perhaps halfhearted—apology. I gave him a gentle smile and a small nod.