Chapter 3: The Hunter's Snare

______________________________________________

The days in the castle passed in a peculiar mix of routine and mystery. Emily found herself growing more accustomed to the cold, vast halls and the dark beauty of the place. Seraphina continued to be both harsh and strangely protective, her moods shifting like the winds. There were moments of harsh reprimands, but also unexpected kindnesses that left Emily wondering about the true nature of the vampire.

One evening, as Emily was tending to one of the castle's many opulent rooms, she heard a noise that didn't belong—a soft, stealthy footfall. Her heart quickened as she glanced around, but she saw nothing out of the ordinary. She resumed her work, attributing the sound to her imagination.

Meanwhile, in the deepest part of the castle, Seraphina was engrossed in studying the ancient talisman they had retrieved. Its power fascinated and worried her, for she knew its potential for both protection and destruction. She was so absorbed in her work that she did not sense the intruder until it was too late.

Emily was arranging flowers in a vase when a hand clamped over her mouth. She struggled, but her attacker was strong and quick. The man who held her was tall, muscular, and clad in dark, rugged clothing. His eyes were cold and calculating as he sized her up.

"Where is she?" he hissed, his voice low and menacing. "Where is the vampire?"

Emily's eyes widened in fear, but she couldn't speak with his hand covering her mouth. The man removed his hand just enough for her to answer.

"I-I don't know," she stammered. "She's not here."

"Don't lie to me," he growled, tightening his grip. "I know she's here. Tell me where she is, or I'll make you regret it."

Emily's mind raced. She knew she couldn't betray Seraphina, but she also feared for her own life. "Please, don't hurt me. I really don't know where she is right now."

The man sneered. "We'll see about that." He dragged her through the castle, moving with a predator's stealth. Emily stumbled along, trying to think of a way to escape.

They reached the grand hall, and the man paused, glancing around. "Seraphina!" he called out, his voice echoing through the vast space. "Show yourself, or this girl dies."

A tense silence followed his words. Emily's heart pounded as she waited, hoping that Seraphina would somehow come to her rescue. But there was no response.

The man tightened his grip on Emily, his patience wearing thin. "I know you're here, vampire. Come out and face me, or I'll kill your little pet."

At that moment, Seraphina appeared at the top of the grand staircase, her eyes blazing with fury. She descended the steps with a grace that belied her anger, her presence commanding and terrifying.

"Release her," Seraphina demanded, her voice cold and authoritative. "You have no business here, hunter."

The man smirked, keeping his hold on Emily. "Ah, there you are. I knew you'd show yourself. You vampires always have a soft spot for your pets."

Seraphina's eyes narrowed. "If you harm her, I will tear you apart."

The hunter chuckled darkly. "You won't get the chance." He produced a silver dagger, pressing it to Emily's throat. "Now, let's see how fast you really are."

Emily's eyes widened in terror as she felt the cold blade against her skin. She tried to remain still, but her fear was overwhelming.

Seraphina took a step forward, her gaze locked on the hunter. "What do you want?"

The hunter's expression turned serious. "Your death, vampire. You and your kind are a plague on this world. But I'm willing to make a deal. Surrender yourself to me, and I'll let the girl go."