Chapter 24

LIZBETH FROZE.

     Bradley.

     "I couldn't have blamed you, ever," Bradley's voice trembled, and Lizbeth turned around to see him standing in the doorway, his bag hanging loosely in his hand. Tears were pooling in his eyes, a shattered expression settled on his face.

     "Bradley–" Lizbeth whispered, swallowing around the lump in her throat. "I–"

     "I'm so sorry–" he took careful steps towards her, Adam's apple bouncing up and down as he swallowed. "So sorry for all the fights– the words– for thinking that you could ever cheat on me–"

     Lizbeth's lip quivered, seeing in the crook of her eye that Natasha was gathering her things and leaving silently, but she wasn't able to give it a thought as Bradley neared her.

     "Y–you don't blame me?" Lizbeth croaked, her voice on the verge of breaking.

     "Why would I? How could I blame you when I was the one who left you alone?" Regret seeped through his voice, guilt framing his eyes.

     He reached her, and dropped his bag before raising a tremulant hand, brushing away a few tears on her cheek with his thumb. Lizbeth let out a shaky breath as the familiar feeling of his skin fired up her body.

     "I should've comforted you– we should've comforted each other–" Bradley breathed, and Lizbeth could see him fight against the tears. "But I– I took my anger out on you, driving you away– it crushed me even more–

     "I needed you," he whispered, closing his eyes in regret. A few tears rolled down his cheeks. "And I still do. I never imagined– that I would go five years without seeing you–"

     "Bradley–" Lizbeth's voice broke, and she cupped his face, brushing tears away with her thumbs.

     "I missed you, Liz. Every day," Bradley breathed, opening his eyes again. "And I've been trying so hard to fight it– I thought you hated me–"

     "Hate you?" Lizbeth's brows furrowed. "Why would I hate you?"

     "For not being there for you when you needed me the most," he quivered. "For starting almost every fight, over and over again– for not comforting you like I should have–"

     "I can't hate you," Lizbeth reassured him in a whisper, blinking away the tears. She averted her eyes. "I'm incapable of hating you, because I– I–" She looked back up at him, his pained eyes meeting hers, and a breath escaped her lips. "I love you. I always have."

     Bradley didn't waste another second. He captured her lips in his, and Lizbeth locked her hands around his neck, melting into the kiss.

     Her stomach took a somersault as Bradley's arms sneaked around her waist, feeling the familiar lips work with hers, the sense of home settling in her heart. A sense she hadn't felt in years.

     The need for a breath broke their long-awaited kiss. Their foreheads connected, and Lizbeth's mouth formed the most joyful smile she had worn in years. Her fingers found the hair on his neck, and she caressed it softly as she looked into his eyes.

     "I love you too," he beamed, which made a blush creep up her cheeks. He grinned cheekily. "I missed you blushing."

     "Oh my– cut the cheekiness," Lizbeth nudged him playfully, though her cheeks were still sporting a soft rosy color.

     "But you love it. Secretly," Bradley winked, pecking her lightly on her mouth. Though, the remaining tears in his eyes reminded Lizbeth of a conversation they left unfinished.