Chapter 40- Layover

^Trailer for The Runaway (my new book!) info in the authors note at the end!^

~Kayla's POV~

"Thank you so much," I smiled to the woman who handed me my boarding pass. As instructed by her, I went ahead down the hall with my bag of luggage rolling behind me with everyone else in front and behind me, walking down to the entrance to the plane. I smiled at people who walked past me and made my way to the back of the plane where I found my seat. I had a window seat and it looked like I was the first of any other people in my row to get here. I stowed my luggage away in the top shelf and took my purse with me to my seat. Just as I sat down I got an incoming call on my phone from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I answered with confusion. Usually I don't answer unknown calls, but hey, I just went to fucking Japan. I can do whatever the fuck I want.

"Is this Kayla?" a man spoke in a hispanic voice.

"Uh.. maybe, who's this?"

"This is Ju-- um, Jeremiah," he stuttered, sounding nervous.

"Do I know you?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

Just then the call went flat and I heard the receiver on the other end cut off.

"Hello?" I tried again, in hopes that someone would answer. When nobody responded I decided that the call broke down. That was weird.. Since I had my phone in hand I carelessly messed around on it until I wound up on Twitter. I scrolled through my mentions to see a bunch of people tagging me in a video of Justin from yesterday. I shut my eyes for a second to collect myself and let a couple of deep breaths out. I can't distract myself with Justin. I can't be thinking about him, I just can't. When I opened my eyes back up, I didn't let myself look at anymore mentions and just went to my Instagram. I didn't bother to check my mentions since I knew people were probably just trying to bring Justin to my attention.

Instead, I scrolled through my feed until a familiar picture of me came up. I looked at it for a minute and found a smile come across my lips after a while. I haven't seen this picture in forever. I looked it over, feeling a warm feeling run throughout me. This picture was taken by my mom when she took me on a trip, just the two of us, to my grandparents house in Atlanta. I had to have been only five.. that was the best memory I ever had with her, it was such a perfect trip with only her. My smile soon faded when my eyes flickered just above the picture to see who posted it. The username justinbieber shot itself in the back of my mind and I couldn't stop myself from tapping his username which took me directly to his profile. I only follow like ten people on here, so I wasn't surprised to see that the photo of me was posted two weeks ago, and he had nothing posted since then. This time I didn't let my curiosity rule me and I exited out of Instagram.

I let out a deep breath and rested my head on the seat. Looking to my left, I noticed that the two other people who were assigned to sit next to me were already here. I took one look around and noticed that it looked like everyone had already been seated.

"Welcome to Japan Airlines," I nearly jumped when the T.V. in front of me turned on to reveal a Japanese women in flight attendant attire. "I hope you enjoy your travels with us, and please, fasten your seat belts and raise your tray tables until the green light flashes on to signify we are safely at a constant elevation," she spoke with a smile in her accent I've been hearing a lot of the past few days.

I tuned her out as she went over all of the safety procedures and peered out the window next to me instead. The plane had already started driving down the road in circles as it always does to build up steam before taking off into the air, and there was nothing to really look at besides the airport building, so instead I brought my phone back out and turned it onto Spotify on a random playlist.