Chapter 2: Awakening

A sharp pain pierced Lu Yue's head as her consciousness returned from darkness. Every movement was agonizing, and she felt as though her body was sinking under a heavy weight. Attempting to open her eyes was a struggle—her eyelids felt as though they were made of lead. Faint, blurry images swirled in her mind, too indistinct to grasp.

"Where am I?" Lu Yue wondered, her mind grappling with confusion. Her last memories were of rushing to the hospital, and then suddenly, a construction crane falling onto her car. In the moment before losing consciousness, she had thought she would never see her loved ones again or fulfill her dreams.

As her awareness gradually cleared, she realized that her body was burdened with an unusual heaviness. The pain in every movement and the vague memories of her previous life made it difficult to understand what was happening. The voices of children still echoed in her ears, but they seemed like part of a distant dream.

With great effort, Lu Yue managed to open her eyes and saw two children's faces filled with worry and hope. These faces were familiar but seemed like a distant, unclear memory. The warm rays of the morning sun, filtering through a small window, created a dim light but provided a sense of cozy domestic warmth.

"Miao Miao? Xiao Qin?" Lu Yue whispered, trying to focus on the names that might help her understand what was happening.

"Sister!" the children exclaimed simultaneously, their eyes filling with tears of joy. Lu Yue felt warmth and affection for these little beings, despite her weakness.

Lu Yue attempted to sit up, but her body was too weak. Every movement was painful, and she felt her consciousness slipping back into semi-darkness.

The room around her was shabby: dilapidated walls, minimal furniture, and dusty wooden beams. It resembled neither a hospital nor her home. She noticed it was sparsely furnished, with only a few antique items that might once have been valuable but now appeared abandoned.

"Mom! Sister is awake!" Lu Miao cried out, running out of the room with excitement and relief.

Moments later, a middle-aged woman entered the room. Her face seemed familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. The warm expression on her face contrasted with the surrounding squalor. She sat beside the bed, her eyes filled with love and concern.

"Yue, how are you feeling?" she asked, her voice gentle and soothing but tinged with exhaustion.

"Who are you? Where am I?" Lu Yue whispered, her voice barely audible.

The woman exchanged worried glances with the children and replied, "You're home, safe now. It's me, your mother, Mo Li. You lost consciousness in the forest, but now you're safe."

Mo Li's words began to cut through the fog in Lu Yue's mind. She realized she had somehow been reborn into this new world. Yet, her mind still struggled with this realization, her feelings mixed with anxiety and confusion.

"Mom..." Her voice was hoarse and weak. Mo Li smiled gently and stroked her hand; her touch was warm and calming. Lu Yue felt the fear subsiding a little.

"Everything will be alright, Yue. You're home, and you're safe," Mo Li said reassuringly.

Lu Yue took a deep breath, contemplating her new reality. The memories of her past life were still fresh, but she began to understand she needed to comprehend and accept this new life. With every glance at the children standing nearby, she felt their genuine concern was real and sincere.

"Mom, who are these children?" she asked cautiously.

"These are your siblings. Your older brother, Lu Xin, is two years older than you, and these are your younger brother and sister, Lu Miao and Lu Qin, who are five years old," Mo Li answered with a smile, but her eyes were full of worry. She looked at the children with warmth, but her gaze revealed fatigue and concern.

Lu Yue tried to remember something, but her memory was blank. She had just been reborn into this body and could not recall her new family. Nevertheless, seeing their sincere care, she decided to learn more about her new life.

"And where is Dad?" she asked, her voice full of curiosity and concern.

Mo Li lowered her eyes and sighed. It was clear this topic was painful and brought deep sadness.

"Your father disappeared about five years ago. His family cast us out, and we moved to this village with just a few belongings. The Qing family took us in, as they are relatives of the village head."

Lu Yue noticed Mo Li's tension as she spoke, her voice trembling with worry. It was evident that her father's family had left them in a difficult situation, and Mo Li felt gratitude toward those who took them in, despite the tension.

"Mom, you shouldn't talk about this," Lu Qin interjected, his face stern and serious. "They use us. You shouldn't be grateful to them."

Mo Li nodded, her eyes full of sorrow. Lu Yue felt her own resolve to protect her new family strengthening.

Suddenly, the door slammed open, and an old woman with a grim expression entered the room. She was followed by a middle-aged woman, Madame Lin, with a malevolent smile. They exchanged glances and began to whisper, adding to the tension in the room.

"Weren't you supposed to say Lu Yue bitch was dead?" the old woman said, her voice cold and scornful.

Lu Yue felt her heart tighten. She tried to sit up in bed, but her body was too weak. The old woman looked at her with disdain.

"Mo Li, why are your children still here and not in the fields?" the old woman shouted, resorting to curses. "All you do is waste time!"

Mo Li stood up, her face pale with fear and humiliation. She bowed to the old woman, trying to maintain her dignity.

"Madame Wang, I apologize. We will do everything possible to fulfill our duties," she said, her voice trembling.

Lu Yue felt anger seeing her mother and siblings being humiliated. Rage boiled in her chest, but she tried to stay calm.

"Mo Li, your family lives at our mercy," Madame Wang continued, her voice sharp as a knife. "If you don't fulfill your obligations, you'll become a burden to the village!"

Mo Li bowed again, her eyes moist but not shedding tears. Her gaze showed a determination hidden behind a wall of despair.

"We will try our best, Madame Wang. Please forgive us," she said quietly.

Madame Wang snorted and turned to Madame Lin, who watched the scene with a malicious grin. Madame Lin nodded, her face expressing glee.

"Keep an eye on them, Lin. I don't want to hear any more excuses," she ordered and left the room.

Madame Lin, with a malevolent glint in her eyes, followed Madame Wang, leaving Lu Yue and her family in a tense silence.