Chapter 8: A Chance for Salvation

After leaving the Heavenly Marks Pavilion, Lu Yue felt a sense of lightness in her heart. Having sold her elixirs, she was satisfied that her efforts had been recognized. Deciding to take a break from the persistent pain in her back, she took a stroll, enjoying the fresh air that somewhat alleviated her suffering.

However, her peaceful moment was interrupted by an alarming commotion. Cries and noise were coming from the street, and Lu Yue moved towards the source of the disturbance. As she got closer, she saw a crowd gathered around a young man lying on the ground, writhing in agony.

The young man looked emaciated and painfully pale. His face was flushed with fever, and his breathing was interrupted by painful coughs. He was suffering from a chronic illness, and its exacerbation had brought him to the brink. The people around him were panicking and only making the situation worse with their disorganized actions.

Lu Yue tried to push her way through the crowd towards the victim, but was stopped by the guards protecting him. They gave her stern looks, blocking her path.

"Clear the way!" Lu Yue shouted with determination. "I can help!"

An elderly maid approached her with gray hair braided tightly and a wary but kind expression.

"Can you really help?" she asked, her voice full of doubt.

Beside her stood a younger maid, significantly younger, with delicate features and long hair neatly styled in a bun, giving her an innocent appearance. However, her gaze was suspicious and disapproving.

"But how can we be sure she actually knows what she's doing?" the young maid questioned, casting a skeptical glance at Lu Yue. Lu Yue's dusty and wrinkled clothing did not meet her expectations of a specialist.

The older maid, assessing Lu Yue, still hesitated. But seeing the young master's worsening condition, she decided to give her a chance.

"Alright, try," she sighed, choosing to take a chance despite her doubts.

Lu Yue pulled out the medicinal herbs she had carried with her. These plants were collected from the mountains, and she had studied their properties thoroughly. Quickly mixing the herbs, she prepared a compress and carefully applied it to the inflamed chest of the young man. Then, using a decoction of other herbs, she wiped his forehead to reduce the fever. Gradually, the young man's breathing became more regular, but suddenly a wealthy man approached, his face twisted with rage.

"How dare you interfere in this matter, fraud?" he exclaimed, his eyes flashing with anger. "Not only are you useless, but you're also dangerous! Do you intend to harm this person?"

He roughly kicked her in the back, and Lu Yue, writhing in pain, fell to the ground. Her eyes squeezed shut from the excruciating pain. The wealthy man continued to accuse her of fraud, while the young maid supported him with her own scornful remarks.

"She belongs on the street, not by the master's side!" the young maid said disdainfully, expressing her contempt for Lu Yue.

Soon, the city guards arrived and, without understanding the situation, arrested Lu Yue and took her to the city dungeon known as Diyuan. The cell was a grim, damp place with a cold, moldy stone floor and narrow windows through which only faint light filtered. The pain in Lu Yue's back intensified in this dismal place, but she tried not to show her weakness.

A whole day passed when the cell door creaked open, and the older maid, the one Lu Yue had met earlier, entered the dungeon. Bowing and with a deeply grateful expression, the maid apologized to Lu Yue.

"We are grateful for your help," the older maid said, her face serious but with genuine respect in her eyes. "The master wanted me to convey his thanks. Your people are waiting for you at the gates of Diyuan; they are looking for you."

Lu Yue immediately realized that her family was there. Her heart raced, and she expressed her excitement to the older maid. Seeing her anxiety, the maid persuaded the guards to admit her family. Before leaving, she handed Lu Yue a pouch of silver.

"This is compensation for the trouble caused and payment for your treatment," she said. Lu Yue hesitated to accept the money, but understood that refusing would be impractical. Quietly taking the pouch, she nodded in thanks. The older maid bowed once more and left.

When her family arrived, Lu Yue saw Mo Li, Lu Xin, Lu Qin, and Lu Miao, all filled with tears and fear. They began to scold her for her actions.

"Why did you act so recklessly?" Lu Xin cried. "Look at what condition you're in now."

Upon returning home, Madam Mo noticed that Lu Yue's wound had reopened and offered to dress it. Lu Yue calmly allowed her to help. Mo Li, removing the bandages from her injured body and seeing the blood, cried once more. Lu Yue felt ashamed that her family was suffering because of her.

"I'm fine," Lu Yue replied quietly. "Just a little tired."

As the emotions settled, Mo Li asked Lu Yue how she had learned to heal. Lu Yue, a bit embarrassed, explained that she had spent a lot of time in the mountains studying the properties of various plants. Mo Li reprimanded her once again for her carelessness and reminded her to take care of her health, but deep down, she made some important decision.