Chapter 7: The Celestial Labels Pavilion

Lu Yue slowly emerged from her hidden space, a sharp pain piercing her back like burning needles. The sun was just beginning to rise, its rays breaking through the cracks in the shutters, casting a soft light on her face. The trembling glow touched her cheek, highlighting the painful hue and intensifying her suffering. Even the light filtering into the room seemed full of regret for her torment.

The creak of the door broke the silence, and on the threshold appeared Qing Lian. His face was lit with a sinister joy at the sight of her suffering, as if he were a spectator at a show, relishing every moment of her pain. Behind him stood Mo Li and Lu Xin, their faces filled with concern and anxiety, as though they were caught in the shadow of an impending storm.

"You can take her away," Qing Lian said, his voice dripping with arrogance and mockery, as if he were savoring her suffering. His words hung in the air like a sentence, and the tension in the room was palpable.

With worry in his eyes, Lu Xin quickly picked up his sister, holding her in his arms as if afraid she might vanish if he loosened his grip. Mo Li, anxiously assessing Lu Yue's condition, tried to remain calm, but her heart raced with worry, like a bird in a cage. Feeling the warmth of their concern, Lu Yue closed her eyes and sank into sleep, hoping it would help her forget her pain.

When she regained consciousness, she was surrounded by the twins, Lu Qin and Lu Miao. They embraced her from both sides, their cheeks red from tears, and their breathing was calm but troubled. Lu Yue heard footsteps and anxious conversations. The voices of her brother and mother were filled with anxiety and fear, as if they were standing on the edge of a precipice.

When the door opened again, Lu Yue closed her eyes, trying to feign sleep. The voices grew closer, and she felt a pleasant coolness on her forehead—it was her mother's hand. The voices became clearer:

"Mother, why can't we separate from the Qing family? Haven't we suffered enough?" Lu Xin asked, his voice trembling with bitterness and despair, as if his question carried the weight of their fate.

"I'm sorry, Lu Xin, for hiding so much from you," Madame Mo said with a deep sigh, her voice full of regret, as though she bore a heavy burden of guilt. "But because of me, you have had to suffer for so long."

Lu Xin and Lu Yue, pretending to be asleep, were stunned. Madame Mo continued, her words sounding like a revelation:

"Many years ago, when we first settled in this village, the Qing family offered us a deal. We were to help them with everything, whether it was household chores or other tasks. I was pregnant with the twins, and Lu Yue was seriously ill. I couldn't sacrifice you, so I agreed. I understand if you blame me."

Lu Yue fell into deep contemplation, trying to understand why the Qing family had acted this way. Her thoughts were interrupted by her mother's gentle touch. Stopping her pretense, Lu Yue noticed Mo Li bringing water and giving it to her. Lu Yue tried to sit up, but Madame Mo firmly instructed her to stay in bed, expressing her concern.

The next day, despite Madame Mo's pleas, Lu Yue insisted on going out—she had rested enough and wanted to take a walk. She headed to the "Celestial Labels" Pavilion. A sign above the entrance read "Celestial Labels," as if inviting her into a world of mysteries and opportunities. Inside was a spacious hall where people moved about, creating a sense of constant activity and bustle, like a river flowing through life.

Lu Yue approached the counter, where a girl in a white hanfu with blue patterns greeted her. A cheerful student badge gleamed on her chest, like a symbol of hope.

"Hello, I'm looking for Elder Xu," Lu Yue said, her voice firm but gentle like the morning breeze.

The girl frowned and gestured to a sofa, indicating that Lu Yue should wait. Lu Yue noticed a board in the corner of the hall with written alchemical problems and pondered them. Each problem was carefully described, and she felt her heart race with anticipation:

— Weak Purification Elixir: "Why does this purification elixir not remove toxins as promised? It seems less effective than previous versions."

— Incorrect Reaction of Reagents: "When mixing blue and green herbs, an excessively strong reaction occurs. Find the cause and adjust the ingredient ratios."

These questions mirrored her own struggles, and she felt an idea for a solution beginning to form in her mind. Lu Yue quickly wrote a few words on the edge of the board and returned to her wait, her thoughts swirling.

The old man, observing Lu Yue, approached and, nodding in satisfaction, said:

"I thought this was just a playful child, but it turns out I've met a true genius."

The student girl returned and led Lu Yue to a room where an elderly man with a dark complexion and short beard sat. His smile was slightly unnatural, but Lu Yue paid no mind. Taking a seat, she pulled out the note and handed it to the elder:

"This is from Old Man Li. He said you would understand."

Elder Xu opened the note and read it. His face contorted with laughter.

"This old man! How dare he think himself so important? He hasn't visited me even once and now demands this!" he exclaimed, laughing, his mirth filled with amusement and puzzlement.

Lu Yue, curious, saw the note's content and was touched: it stated that Old Man Li requested Elder Xu to take care of Lu Yue in exchange for repaying a debt. The note sounded arrogant and haughty, reflecting the tense relationship between alchemists.

Elder Xu asked how he could help. Lu Yue replied that she was not seeking help but was there to sell elixirs. The elder raised an eyebrow and looked at her with surprise, as if realizing he was dealing with an extraordinary individual.

Lu Yue took out five vials of elixirs and opened one. The fragrance was enchanting, and the student girl, seeing the contents, exclaimed:

"This is a Minor Spiritual Energy Elixir!"

Lu Yue silently quieted her, and Elder Xu left the room to check if anyone had overheard their conversation. He returned, clearly concerned.

After examining the remaining vials, the elder discovered a Minor Regeneration Elixir, a Strengthening Elixir, and two Second-Level Elixirs. He was astounded by the quantity and asked:

"Where did you get these?"

Lu Yue calmly replied:

"My master asked me to sell them."

Elder Xu pondered how such a quantity of elixirs could be produced only by an alchemist of the 7th or 8th level. He was impressed and thought that perhaps this child indeed possessed extraordinary abilities worth noting.

After selling the five elixirs and arranging for the next supply, Lu Yue left the pavilion. Elder Xu instructed the student to inform him when Lu Yue returned. The student girl was pleased to have caught the elder's attention and was grateful to Lu Yue for the opportunity.

As Lu Yue walked away, Elder Xu returned to his room but was interrupted by someone's voice.

"Little Xu, come here."

Called the old man with a goat-like beard. If anyone could see him now, they would recognize him as the same elder who had observed Lu Yue.

"Why did the master decide to visit this student?" Elder Xu inquired, his voice full of confusion.

"Hey, better look at this," the old man with the goat-like beard said with a smile, handing over a note.

"Oh, Master, were you able to solve the problem?" Xu Jin exclaimed, his voice trembling with excitement.

"Foolish student, can't you see the answer was written clearly, and the spiritual power expenditure was reduced?" said the old man with disappointment. "This child is clearly smarter than you."

Elder Xu, unable to comprehend who was being discussed, smiled foolishly and scratched his head.

"With a breath," the old man continued, "Find me this child. It was he who solved the problem." As he left, he added.

Xu Jin thought, Master, how am I supposed to find him if I don't even know what he looks like?