Diverge

Jace's POV:

I looked at the angel fountain in the middle of the others that had captured my attention the first time I saw the mansion. As good as this mansion was, I missed my previous one.

I didn't know why I picked this place in this city and in this neighbourhood.

Is it because I wanted a more familiar place after travelling for the tour? Was it because I wanted to redeem the memories I had from here?

I felt drawn to here. What drew me here was something I wanted to find out.

I know that Victor was confused when I told him I'd be living here for a while. Well, I didn't come to live in Manhattan again because I wanted to. I was having a life-threatening situation that required me to lay low for a while. At least, that's what Owen said.

What do they want from me? To murder me? To ruin my reputation? Or to tear me down?

Those questions kept plaguing my mind like troublesome moths around a flame. Even here where I was on tight security, I didn't feel safe.

Am I being paranoid?

I was brought back to reality from my thoughts by my ringing phone.

"Hey, Tory."

Tory Stilinski was one of the closest people I had. Not thatI had a lot.

"What's up, my man? Where have you been lately?" Tory asked in a curious tone.

"In Manhatty."

"What happened to your crib?"

I took in a deep breath. "It's not about my house. I need to lay low for a while, Tory."

"Oh, I understand. Those hooligans can be a pain in the a**. Well, I found someone extraordinary at the Skull Derby. I think it would be great if he joined our team," Tory spoke in a happy tone.

I felt sceptical. "Let's see the pictures."

I was pleasantly surprised to see a picture of Victor crossing the finish line first amidst a cheering crowd.

"I actually know him. I bet he won't decline joining our team," I said confidently. I could see our team's success calling out to me if Victor was to join our team. I trusted what Tory said since he was so hard to impress.

                             ****

I leant on my black Ducati as I faced Victor in the middle of the stadium. "My man, Tory, saw you racing at the Skull Derby a few days ago. You impressed him a lot."

He shrugged nonchalantly. "And what about it?"

"How about you join our team?" I straightforwardly asked.

"And then?" Victor's brows rose quizzically. Ok, that was unexpected.

"First, our racing team is legal. You don't have to worry about the cops. And the dough is good too." I knew that would hold his attention. He had to be on our team. Then our rivals would have to forget about winning.

"I'll think about it. For now, let's just have fun. Hope your racing isn't that rusty?"

"Take your time. As to that, there's only one way to find out." I challenged him. I wanted to witness first-hand how good he was.

His hands gripped the handlebars as he looked at me through his gray helmet. "Race you there, Jace ".

Our bikes zapped at a breakneck speed on the circular stadium tracks. It was a tight competition where it was hard to decide who could win.