Chapter 10

The next chamber greeted me with an immediate threat—an axe whizzing towards my head. Astrid and I barely managed to duck, and I tripped over my cloak.

"Sorry!"

"Elric!" Astrid snapped, glaring at the sweating man on the floor. He was wrestling with a silver-haired woman who seemed ready to strangle him but paused as she noticed us.

Elric, grinning up at us, slowly stood, and the axe that had been so close to my head clattered harmlessly to the ground.

As I stood and started to brush off my clothes, the silver-haired woman stepped forward and sent my bow and arrows flying.

I cursed as her fist hit my side, making me stagger. I looked at Astrid in confusion, but she just grinned and shrugged, as if this was all part of some elaborate prank.

"Let's spar," the woman said, and I turned my attention back to her. Her movements were a blur as she quickly threw a punch. I sidestepped just in time and jabbed at her side, which made her grunt.

Gasps filled the room, and I noticed several descendants watching us with interest. Some were lounging on the floor, panting, looking as if they had just finished a tough fight.

A woman in lavender trousers leaned casually against the wall, observing us. Just then, another figure lunged at me. I grabbed his arm and used his momentum to throw him to the ground—it was Elric again.

The silver-haired woman recovered quickly and resumed her rapid assault. Distracted by her speed, I didn't see Elric trip me until it was too late. I hit the ground with a thud, cursing as the impact bruised my back. Rolling quickly to the side, I narrowly dodged a kick aimed at my face by the woman who was just watching us earlier—though it still landed on my shoulder, causing me to curse again.

I tried to sweep the silver-haired girl's legs but failed. Getting to my feet, I continued to evade her attacks while landing a few of my own.

Elric and the woman who kicked me tried to flank me, but I anticipated their move and delivered a spinning kick that sent them sprawling. I grunted in pain as the impact reverberated through my legs.

I attempted to cast a spell against the quicksilver girl, but she was too fast.

"No cheating, sorcerer," she said, twisting my arms behind my back and mimicking a throat slice with her finger.

She laughed as Elric and the woman I had thrown earlier regrouped, breathing heavily but with wide grins. The other descendants in the room cheered.

Wiping sweat from my brow, I grinned back, panting.

The girl released me and extended her hand with a serious smile. "Your mission will involve plenty of combat, so we thought it best to give you a bit of a welcome practice." Her silver hair was damp from sweat, sticking to her cheeks. "I'm Maris, a descendant of Sylvan, the keeper of time." Her silver eyes were intense, as if she knew all my secrets. She wore a high-collared, sleeveless black top and loose pants cinched at the waist with a crimson sash, her wrists adorned with black bracers.

I shook her hand. "Afia."

Two more people offered their hands, which I accepted. The friendliest looking was a girl who introduced herself as Mia, a descendant of Drakon, the keeper of harmony and emotions.

She had a noble presence, with waist-length black hair in a practical braid and a flowing white top that showed a bit of her midriff. An ornate choker adorned her neck, and a luxurious purple sash with golden chains draped over her lavender trousers.

"Welcome, Afia! I hope you won't regret joining us. And if you do, don't worry—the ocean has a way of making regrets float away... including you, perhaps," the man beside her jested.

Elric, meanwhile, looked like he was too careless to bother wearing a shirt. His tanned skin glistened as though wet, adorned with tattoos and a tousled mass of blonde hair. He wore simple, loose brown pants tied with a braided cord.

"Well, that would be perfect. I'll let you know when I regret it so I can just float away—hopefully with a drink in hand and a view of the horizon." My response elicited laughter from the group.

Gradually, everyone returned to their own activities, leaving only the three in front of me and Astrid, who was tending to my bruises.

Mia spoke up, "Talin mentioned you needed training, but I see you're already quite skilled. I'm curious why he thought you needed it when you almost sent us flying."

The others nodded in agreement as I retrieved my bow and checked it for damage. "Maybe he's threatened by my—"

"Descendants. To the archive room, now," a man's voice interrupted. We turned to see him panting as if he'd run a marathon.

Moments later, we stood before a long table cluttered with maps and ancient scrolls. I scanned the room, feeling the tension in the air.

"We've spotted your brother," Talin said, making me feel a rush of nervous anticipation. "He was seen with a cloaked man we couldn't identify, and then he disappeared from sight."

"Where?" I asked, my voice trembling.

Talin's gaze was naturally sharp. "The Kingdom of Astra." He circled a spot on the map. "He was seen here, near the renowned seer of lost things."

Gasps echoed around the room.

I furrowed my brow, trying to understand why his abductor would seek out the seer.

"We spoke with the seer, who admitted they were seeking help to find the obsidian," Elowen added, scribbling on a parchment. "This suggests we're running out of time." He continued, "We need to immerse you in your mission as soon as possible while continuing your training with Maris."

I thought of Kalid. If their information was accurate, his abduction was likely tied to what Talin's team was working on.

"So what do I need to do?" I asked Elowen, my anxiety growing as I thought of my brother.

Talin cleared his throat, his gaze focused on the papers. "The obsidian has an owner—Malik, the sole keeper from eons ago. This artifact was created by him to destroy all mortals and start afresh after the chaos of his time, and he did not act alone." Elowen laid an ancient tome on the table, showing a page that confirmed Talin's claims. "He enlisted sorcerers to help create the relic. To find the obsidian, we must seek out their descendants—those who share the bloodlines of those who helped create it. The obsidian's location is elusive. It hides and shifts frequently. And now..."

"Now we need the assistance of other sorcerers, as they might be our best chance to locate the obsidian due to their connection to it," I said, my voice tinged with anticipation. Talin's eyes met mine, and he nodded, confirming my deduction.

"Indeed, that is correct," he replied, his voice smooth and even, with a hint of something I couldn't quite place.

"And you need me—another sorcerer-to infiltrate the group you're talking about?"

"Exactly, Afia."

"And where do I find them?" I asked, locking eyes with him. The tension between us was palpable. His silence spoke volumes, and it suddenly hit me. "You don't know where they are, do you? And I'm supposed to find them?"

He settled into a couch in front of the table, his posture relaxed but his eyes betraying the weight of the situation. He leaned back and said simply, "Yes."

Astrid cleared her throat. "That's why we need you to work with us. You can blend in with the other sorcerers without raising suspicion. Plus, if they are hiding somewhere in this realm, only someone like you can gain access. You might also find clues about your brother during your investigation."

I nodded, absorbing the gravity of the task.

Maris spoke, "You'll need to report any useful findings and return periodically to refine your combat skills."

I lifted my head, realizing the dangerous journey ahead. If the sorcerers discovered my true intentions, things could get complicated.

"When do I start?" I asked Talin.

"The day after tomorrow, at dawn, you must begin your search for their whereabouts. And try not to die."