Chapter 11

“So, you’re drinking poisons now when you’re bored?”

The deep, manly voice that echoed through the chamber nearly made me drop the vial in my hands.

I turned to face him and saw a tall figure standing at the entrance, hands in his pockets, staring at me. His tousled hair partially covered a thick brow, despite half of it being tied at the back.

My eyes lingered over his body and noticed that, unlike his usual regal attire, he now wore a bohemian outfit like the other descendants of Valor. His loose-knit sweater, probably made of wool, was a gradient of dark green at the top and lighter brown at the bottom, paired with sturdy, slightly baggy light brown pants cinched at the waist and ankles. A wide leather belt with various pockets and tools added practicality, and his laced-up brown boots completed the look. Despite the casual attire, he still looked like royalty trapped in an angry man's body, his graceful yet masculine movements adding a sense of regality.

My gaze dropped to the panther at his side, which looked at me as if I were prey.

Talin raised a brow when he seemed to notice my stare but didn’t move. “May I step inside?”

“Sure, if you’re here to entertain yourself by creating arguments and spitting insults at me.” I turned my back to him and faced the small table scattered with vials and herbs. Grabbing the vial of crimson liquid, I drank it with my eyes tightly shut.

I heard footsteps nearing, and my throat burned as the poison worked its way down. It's incredible that I felt strong and weak at the same time.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have all the time in the realm to spit facts at you. I have other things to do.” His voice was closer now, standing in front of the same table.

“So, being here in my chamber is one of those things?” I asked, opening my eyes to see him examining the vials and herbs.

“We can assume that.” His hands turned over some vials, thoroughly examining them.

I gripped the edge of the table as my vision blurred, but it didn’t escape his notice. He straightened, his eyes lingering on my face as if studying me.

He returned his gaze to the table, and I noticed how he poured a liquid from one vial into another, my eyes widening for a moment when he took a sip from it.

“You’re the only one I know in this realm who’s still alive from drinking poisons.”

I massaged my temples as I walked towards my bed and sat at the edge. “Unfortunately for you."

I blinked. I waited, but it seemed to have no effect on him.

"Ignis Secare," I heard him whisper, and I recalled the day when he surged in our forcefully asking me about my brother's whereabouts—the day I spoke the same exact incantation that wounded him.

He stared at me, clearly waiting for me to scream in pain, so I just rolled my eyes. “Sorry to burst your bubble, but that won't work.”

“Really? How disappointing.”

“So, what are you doing here?”

It took a moment for him to answer, and I was starting to think of ways to wound him as an exchange for the trickery he gifted me at the throne room, but then he cleared his throat. “I dare you to accompany me to the Harvest Festival of Valor’s descendants.”

My mouth hung open, and I laughed awkwardly. I pointed to myself. “You dare me?” Repeating what he said.

He fixed the arm of his sweater. “Yes.”

I laughed again. “Surely, my highness, you know better words to phrase what you said. You sound like a coward.”

The panther growled, and I saw annoyance flash in Talin’s eyes. His pet must have inherited his temper, and I wonder how long it would take for his pet to lose patience with me. I've never hurt an animal before, but if this one is as prickly as his owner, Talin could not expect me to just let this one snack on me. I think about Talin's reaction when he finds his pet hurt. Would he go frantic? Or would he act as if it's nothing? Given his ruthless attitude, I doubt he would feel remorse.

“It’s a command,” he defended, his voice now tinged with irritation.

“Are you asking me out?”

“Asking you out?” His tone was incredulous.

“Or… is there something important at the festival that needs my expertise and you want me—”

“Want you?”

I crossed my arms. “Oh, so what is it about then?”

“I want to talk to you.”

“You want to talk to me?” I raised my brow.

“Need,” he corrected.

I combed my hair with my fingers. Well, maybe it's much better if we physically fight than talk.

We stared at each other for a minute. He looked harmless, but his eyes were as ruthless as his tongue. For a second, his stare felt familiar, but I dismissed the idea, remembering the day when he had refused to save me in the woods.

I released a sigh and reached for the bow lying on the bed. “Alright.”

“Great.” He turned his back and started walking out of the room when I spoke again.

“Why do you possess so much magic?” My glance dropped at the vial he drank from and then back at him.

His footsteps halted, echoing through the room. He turned and settled into a Windsor chair beside the table, crossing his legs and stroking the midnight fur of his panther. His gaze, filled with amusement, never left me.

“I’ve always wondered why you end up in dire situations, but I think I’m enlightened now—it’s your curiosity. The endless pursuit of answers.”

I returned my gaze to my bow, caressing it carefully as smoke and shadows danced around it. My life was tied to this bow, a fact I never admitted to anyone for various reasons. One in which I do not wish it to be used against me.

When my mother found me at her doorstep, a bow and an arrow bigger than my tiny frame lay beside me. She tried to get rid of it, sensing its magic, but I almost died upon her attempt. With Grimgel's help, she learned the bow was tied to my life. It healed me when brought close, a shameful secret indeed.

Since that day, my whole life felt like a quest for answers, and maybe Talin was right—my curiosity often endangered me.

But I never regretted those dangers, and I would even do it again, but better. I was taught to face the consequences of my actions on my own because... even Kalid, despite his love for me, believed that my mistakes would shape who I am, and he was right.

I raised my stare. “I’m starting to wonder if you killed and sacrificed lives for that magic. You are even immune to poison just as I am. What more can you do?”

He flashed a mischievous smile. “I was born this way.”

“If so, I’m surprised you’re not dead by now. The council would have killed you if they found out you hold more power than them… or the Keeper of the terrestrial realm could do it himself, since it’s against balance.”

He laughed lowly, as if it were the most entertaining joke. “Oh, I didn’t know the terrestrial council was a coven of quivering cowards. As for the Keeper, I suppose he’s too busy counting clouds to notice my existence.”

“Or perhaps, he’s busy wooing the wind or flirting with the fire. Either way, he doesn’t seem particularly concerned with our problems.”

His smile faded, and his brows furrowed. “Are you suggesting he’s a flirt?”

“Legends say it.”

With his sharp eyes, he stared at me for a moment before he stood. “Anyway, Astrid will bring you something to disguise yourself. We cannot afford any complications at the festival.” He started walking out, and I was left staring at the entrance.

I smirked, thinking about how hot-headed the man was and how quickly his mood changed.