CHAPTER 4

Chapter 4

Visitor.

How can I turn this down? I don't want him to think I'm against these kids befriending his niece. Maybe he just wants someone for her to play with, which is why he's inviting them.

"It's okay if you're not comfortable with it." dag-dag niya.

"It would be great if your niece had someone to play with. I don't have a problem with it as long as it's okay with you, sir."

"Saturday then." He motioned with his hand. "Have a seat, everyone."

We all sat down. Beck and Orlo were beside each other. Sir Kaye sat in the center, and I was just beside him, with the kids next to me.

"I'd like to introduce them to you, Sir Kaye," I said, standing up.

"This is Beck and Orlo, the fathers of these kids."

Kaye stood up and shook both of their hands. His demeanor was serious, and Beck's and Orlo's were just as formal. It felt as though I were a bystander in a formal meeting, standing in a distant corner.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Kaye said with a slight smile on his lips.

"As we are," Beck replied with a small smile.

"This is Christina, the kids' nanny," I introduced.

He shook her hand formally, just as he had with Beck and Orlo. It was brief.

"These are CL, Otho, and Ian. They're triplets," I continued, and the three of them stood up.

Otho and Ian offered slight smiles, but CL beamed widely. Hmm...

CL already likes him.

I observed how his lips curled into a smile, and this time, it reached his eyes.

"It's nice meeting you, kiddos," he said warmly.

The smile suited him. He always looked a bit fake when he smiled, but this time, it felt different.

He has a soft spot for kids, huh?

There was a knock at the door.

"Food will be served now," announced one of the staff members as a couple of people entered, each carrying trays with covered dishes.

"Let's eat first, and then we'll discuss things over dessert," Sir Kaye suggested.