Prologue: Millie

The grass was slick with dew, and Millie was running barefooted. Tears streaked her flushed face, she sniffled between ragged breaths, her heart was beating in her throat, and she couldn't stop shaking. Her arms were firmly wrapped around the tightly bound and over filled tool roll. It was one of two she had borrowed from one of the hotel's handymen.

She slid to a stop near the green house, dropped to her knees, and began digging into dirt with her bare hands. She threw the tool roll into the shallow pit, filled the pit in, and patted the mound completely flat. It was done.

All at once Millie could feel her chest relax. Her breaths were calmer. The world seemed quieter than it had in a long time.

Millie, now covered in sweat, with tears streaming down her cheeks, and with dirt caked under her nails and on her clothes, stumbled back towards the hotel's front door. She couldn't help but laugh and giggle to herself. She did it. She could sleep easy now.

As she approached the large wooden doors she could almost feel the warm water of her future shower stream down her back, the clean bed clothes against her skin, and her head sinking into a soft pillow. She smiled.

But before she could touch the door's handle she heard the scrape of a shoe sole against the pavement behind her, a firm hand on her shoulder, and hot breath on the back of her neck.