Chapter 6: Memento

Wren could feel the room start to spin around her. With a shaky hand she grabbed the ID from Ellen's grasp and held it close. It felt heavy in her hands. It didn't feel real.

"What... what is this?" Wren muttered.

"I have no fucking idea..."

When Wren looked towards Ellen she saw tears running down her face. Ellen was holding the picture she had pulled from the purse. The photo itself looked aged, the edges of the glossy paper had begun to fray, and the color was faded. In the photo a woman who looked like Ellen stood outside of an apartment complex, she had one hand was on the hood of beat up blue Oldsmobile and the other hand was on the shoulder of small child who had their arms wrapped around her thigh. The strangest detail that Wren noticed was what the woman who looked like Ellen was wearing a postal carrier's uniform.

"Is that you?" Wren shakily asked.

"... I don't know." Ellen said before sniffling "I don't fucking know..."

The two sank into a deep silence. It swallowed the two up like an inky abyss. Neither could move, each breath felt heavy, and both felt numb. They stayed that way for a long while. The whole situation felt like a bad dream, surreal, confusing, and unending. Wren felt lightheaded. The silence was violently and abruptly interrupted by a clatter from the air vent above Wren's bed. The pair both jumped in response.

Ellen scrunched up her brow and turned towards Wren "What the hell is that?"

"I don't know, I think there might be something loose in the air vent... maintenance was supposed to have already fixed it." Wren hopped up onto the bed and then onto the headboard

"Hold on."

Wren began to crawl into the vent once again. Her her hands groped around along the shafts walls until she felt something. It felt like duct tape. Something the size of a breadbox was duct taped to the wall of the vent shaft. With hardly any effort she freed it from it's duct tape cocoon, and slithered her way backwards.

"Here, watch out."

Ellen stood up, and Wren threw the bundle onto the bed. The bundle landed with a thump and a clatter. Wren followed by flopping onto the bed. In the light it was clear what the bundle truly was. It was a dusty and over stuffed tool roll.

Why the fuck was that in there?

"Why the fuck was that in there?" Ellen's face was a mask of pure confusion.

"I have no fucking clue..." Wren said as she slowly sat up.

She dusted off the tool roll and carefully unbuckled the leather strap. The roll came unfurled under its own weight with a clatter. Inside, stuffed haphazardly into each available pouch and thrown loosely inside of the roll were dozens upon dozens pieces of silver cutlery. Knives, forks, and even a pie server.

Wren stood up and slowly backed away from the bed "What the fuck?"

That seems to be a recurring theme today.

"Wuh-... what the fuck is going on?"

Wren wanted to say something, to give some rational explanation, but nothing made any sense. Mark, Lost & Found, and now... what ever this was. Nothing made sense and everything was happening too fast.

Wren took another look at the pile of silverware "We have to do something with all of this..."

"Like what? I don't even know what it is we're looking at!"

"I can't leave it here... what if... what if Colette comes back?"

Ellen paused for a moment and then began to walk back towards the the bed "Stuff it all in the purse and put it back in the vent."