Welcome to the Grand Pelletier Hotel

The old building sat on a cliff's edge, daring to be knocked from its perch. It hung high over a deep ravine that cut through the evergreen sea of redwood and pine. In this trench raged the white frothing river. Guest at the old building could watch the rapids pour themselves down and through the small river from the back terrace. The rapids, paired with the backdrop of the dense wood, made for a view that was truly worth every cent of the cost of admission, and the price was high.

This was The Grand Pelletier Hotel, a small slice of the south of France dropped in the center of America. Patrons would pay a thousand dollars per person per night for even the cheapest room it had to offer. This heavy price tag doesn't just get one a night at a five star hotel, but also a litany of amenities. Access to an open bar, a ballroom, world class chefs from around the world, a theater with the latest releases and a collection of classics curated by the Pelletier's themselves, and a waitstaff that was on call twenty four hours a day every day. The average suite size at the Pelletier is seven hundred and twenty square feet. This included a bedroom (13'x17')with either two queen beds or one king, a living room (13'x22'), a patio with a gorgeous view of the Colorado wilderness (13'x6'), a full bathroom complete with a shower, a bathtub, and two sinks/medicine cabinets (13'x6'), and a kitchenette (5'x2.5').

Of the five hundred and fifteen rooms the Pelletier had to offer one hundred and twenty of those were reserved for the staff. Not only was the Pelletier their source of employment but it was their landlord, their grocery store, their local bar, their local gym, their local restaurant, and their local movie theater. In other words; The Pelletier was their life.

Though the workers technically lived in The Grand Pelletier they didn't live in The Grand Pelletier. While the guest suites had a luxurious seven hundred twenty square feet, the worker's quarters boasted a much cozier one hundred and eighty three square feet. The 18'x10'.3" dwelling came with a spacious queen bed, a full bathroom, and window with a beautiful view of the the hotel's entrance and parking lot. Each staff member's room also came complete with a mini fridge for beverages and snacks and a television for entertainment. All of this was graciously provided by Pelletier's at only $648.00 a month, which was well below market value, as the Pelletier's were quick to remind anyone who asked.

These cozy quarters, as the Pelletier's would affectionately call them, were not the be all end all as far as living accommodations provided for the staff of The Grand Pelletier Hotel. If one were to truly put their nose to the grindstone, rise above their station, and prove that they are truly Pelletier material, one could become part of the upper management and be given one of the guest suites to reside in for the rest of their tenure. These positions rarely became available, were extremely hard to achieve, and only awarded to one staff member per hiring period. This methodology of promotion had a way of weeding out the unqualified or undeserving, as the Pelletier's liked to say.