Chapter 5: Collide part 2

-Shelley-

"Wait, 'what?!' Shelley, I really think it's important to stop and think this through. Whatever you are planning is a recipe for disaster."

"Look at him sitting there, looking all sexy. Like as if he has done nothing wrong. He left me for a year after I confessed my love to him. He never even bothered to call me, and now he comes back here and expects everything to be okay. I am going to show him what he left."

Turning to David she says, "Listen, David! I am hitting the dance floor one way or another. It's either with you or someone else."

"Please calm down; you are not thinking rationally," he begs. "I am just trying to look out for you. I don't want you to embarrass yourself," he added.

"Fine!" I snapped, pushing his hand away from my arm. "I will find a new partner then. Someone willing to have fun with me."

"Wait! Alright, you win. I will dance with you." Smiling triumphantly, I join hands with him as I pull him to the dance floor.

What's happening with Shelley and that guy? Are they arguing? I sense the tension between them. They seem to be heading to the dance floor.

Ben watches the two individuals steadfastly as they stand together facing each other on the dance floor, with the gentleman's hand on Shelley's hips and her hand around his neck, swaying to the music.

With a drink in hand, Ben's hand tightens around the glass. "I am going to kill him," he utters. "No one except me holds her by the waist."

Just look how ecstatic he appears to be while dancing with her. I belong by her side, not him. Although he yearns to avert his gaze, He finds himself unable to do so.

Just look at her, swaying her head and hips back and forth with her hands in the air. She is happy. I guess she has really moved on. I am solely responsible for my foolish choice. I put my family's issues ahead of her; I should have at least called her to inform her of the situation, but I didn't. I shut her out, and at my convenience, I came looking for her. Blackson was right; I shouldn't expect her to forgive me anytime soon.

I can't take this anymore. I must leave. Throwing back the last of his drink, he set the glass down and addressed his companions. "Gentleman, I must go. Thank you for the invite." He walks out of the club.

"David announced, 'He is gone.'"

"'Phew,' I don't think I can keep up this act much longer. She pushes her loose hair back behind her ears and declares, "I need to get some fresh air."

Leaving the dance floor, she makes her way outside, almost bumping into Ben at the entrance. Both stared at each other without saying a word.

Ben was about to say something, but Shelley walked right past him, leaving David standing behind, calling out to her. "Shelley, wait?! Where are you going?" Both men stared after her as she rushed away.

A sigh escaped David's lips. "I apologise for interfering with your date with her," Ben says. "No need to worry, dude. I saw it coming. By the way, my name is David."

"Ben." Both men shake hands.

"I finally got to meet you. My cousin has told me a great deal about you. Not good things, but things." He smiles at Ben.

"Cousin!.. Which cousin?" he asks.

"Shelley! she is my cousin."

"Oh! I thought you two were together," he exclaims, realising he has misread the whole thing. "But the way you two were dancing..." At that moment, David erupted into laughter, revealing to Ben that the performance was a ploy to incite jealousy, a strategy that proved effective.

"Shelley will probably have my head when she finds out I told you. She is very angry at you, and I am afraid it's turning her into something I don't like."

"I know," Ben adds as he runs his fingers through his hair. "Leaving her hurt was never my intention. It was just a bad decision on my part. I simply desire that she grant me an opportunity to explain myself. I adore her. I genuinely do." He lets out a deep breath.

David looks at Ben curiously. "How about I buy you a drink, and you can explain to me what happened?" He offers. "It won't hurt to have me as an ally, but it must be between us."

Ben smiles at him. "Sure! I will like that."

"David?"

"Yes."

"Do you think she will forgive me?" He poses the question. "With time, Ben, with time." Both men make their way inside the club.

***

Shelley slams the door firmly shut behind her before rushing to the sofa, where she promptly falls. "Oh my! I did not intend to spend my evening in this manner. His influence on me persists even after a year has passed. He smelt so good. "Shelley, stop! "Remember, we are mad at him," she tells herself.

Several hours later, David makes it home to Shelley. He knocks at the door. As the door swings open, he steps in. Closing the door behind him, Shelley says, "I am sorry for leaving you like that since going to the club was my idea. I just needed to get away from him." David remained silent, instead approaching the sofa and gently tapping on his side, inviting her to join him.

Taking her into his arms, he kisses her forehead. "Sleep is what you need." Why don't you rest up so we can talk in the morning?"

"Are you staying the night?" she asks.

"Yes, I am. Now go." Standing, she makes her way to her room. She pauses and says, "Good night, David."

Good night.