Chapter 3

------------------------------

Hayden's pov

"What!?"

"You heard me. You both will be spending time In detention for a week; starting today by cleaning up the mess in the cafeteria. End of discussion"

I have Way better things to do than to be spending my time in detention with Beth, and seeing that she's the most annoying human being on the planet and that I can't stand her at all, this week is going to be a living hell.

"Well look what you've gotten us into" I hissed as the principal made his way out.

"Shut the fuck up!" She hissed. "It's bad enough I have to spend time around you, so don't make it worse" I got up and made my way out of the principles office, slamming the door behind me and made my way to chemistry.

I walked to my seat, ignoring the looks I was getting and slumped down in my seat, not in the mood for anything or anyone. I hated this class either way, so what does it matter?

Why was I the one who had to get stuck with her, why not anyone else? Yes when I first saw her I thought she was hot and all and I might have had a crush on her, but that all ended when I found out what a crazy bitch she is.
I have way better things to do than to think about her right now and just thinking about her stresses me out.

Finally. The day had ended and I could not wait to get home and forget about today's happenings. I wish I'd lived on my own though. Maybe life outside of school would've been easier if i lived on my own.

I got home and made sure no one else was around, and luckily for me, the place was empty. There were empty beer bottles scattered around and dirty clothing laying on the stairs. It disgusted me. I hated this place. I just want to leave.

When I was younger, this house used to be full of laughter and happiness and no one ever had a worry. That was until my mum died in a car accident a few years ago.

It was my birthday and mom decided to throw me a surprise party. Obviously I knew of it because I was a very nosy kid.

She was driving and I was in the passenger seat jamming to our favourite band, The Foo Fighters. We were having so much fun that we didn't see the red light.....
The truck came out of nowhere and hit my mom's side of the car. She died on impact, and a part of me died with her. She was my best friend. I loved her so much.

A week later, my dad started drinking and talking to himself. It scared me and her death was really hard for the two of us to deal with.

Every night he'd be out, drinking, while I'm alone at home, and he'd bring random girls home and you know the rest.

I just miss having a mom. She knew me like the back of her hand. She listened to me when I needed someone to talk to. She was the only friend I had. And now, I have a drunken excuse for a father and an empty life.

I've tried so hard to get my dad to stop drinking but to no avail, nothing helps. He was so in love withy mom that he can't see himself with anyone else.

I've hid this side of my life from everyone, and I'd constantly shoot down any questions about my family. I don't have a family anymore.

I fell asleep for about twenty minutes when I heard a noise downstairs. I knew it was just dad again and he's drunk so I don't want to be in his way.

"Hayden?!" My dad yelled for me.

"Hayden. Help me!" He yelled. I ran downstairs angrily to see my dad with his back against the door and blood all over his shirt.

"Shit! What happened?" I yelled, panicking as I ran to his aid.

"Got into a fight at the bar and this guy stabbed me with a broken glass." He slurs his words.

I pick up my phone and call an ambulance. I apply pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding and he flinched under my touch.

"The ambulance will be here soon. Just keep your eyes open and take steady breathes okay dad" I say as I sit beside him.

A few minutes later the ambulance arrives and takes my dad to the hospital. I get in the ambulance with him and the paramedic questions me about what happened. I tell him what my dad told me and we finally arrive at the hospital.

I can't believe my dad would be dumb enough to get into into a fight at the bar. Oh who am I kidding. It's my dad. There's no use getting mad now, but I can't lose him too.
I've already lost one person in my life and right now I need my dad more than ever.
I'm sitting in the waiting room, waiting for news about my dad when a young, very hot looking nurse, walks my way. I straighten myself up and she calls for me.

"Mr Black?" She asks nervously. She must be a trainee here at the hospital. Nice shot actually.

"Yeah?" I smirk as I eye her up and down.

"Your dad's asleep but you can go and s-see him if you want."
She stutters. I get up from my seat and follow her to my dad's room. If I wasn't in such a mood right now, I would've asked for her number, but now is not the time.

I open the room door to see my dad sleeping peacefully. He actually looks much more alive than he ever did in years. Weird to say, but true.

"We drained all the alcohol from him body and stitched up his wounds. He will be good to go In a few days. We're just giving him some time to heal." She says and exits the room, closing the door behind her.

Seeing my dad like this right now is just bringing back more painful memories from the past. My mom laying on her death bed and not even being able to make out the features on her face.

I can't have my dad leave me. He's the only family I have left. My sister left to get married to a rich guy to get away from our dad and I hadn't heard from her in years. She told me she couldn't handle being around this excuse for a dad and then she just left, without saying goodbye.

"I know you can't hear me right now dad, and I don't really want to say this aloud but, I need you now more than ever. I need you to start acting like a dad and stop acting like everything is your fault. If anything, it's mine and I-im sorry." Tears spill from my eyes as I watch my dad lay before me, motionless.

"I miss mom too you know. I miss everything about her. The way she smiled and laughed and always knew how to cheer us up when we'd get mad at each other. Heck dad. I haven't had a normal conversation with you. Not once. All you ever did was drink your life away. And I knew this was bound to happen. I knew that you were going to get hurt somehow, but please dad I need you. You're the only family I have left." I cry into his side. He grabs my hand and I lift my head up to see him smiling down at me. A tear rolling down his cheek.

"I promise you son. I'll get better. I promise." I get up to hug him but stop as he flinches as I move closer.

"Sorry." I say as I sit back down in the chair next to his bed.

"It's okay son." He says and attempts to get up but lays back down and laughs.

"I love you son."

"I love you too dad"