Chapter 6

LOLO'S POV

The early morning sun streams through my window, casting a golden glow over my room. I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to process everything that happened last night. Brooks and I took a step toward something new, something that feels both exhilarating and terrifying. But as the light fills my room, the weight of reality presses down on me.

The rules have always been clear—my father's rule, the one unspoken but understood by every player and staff member on his team: no relationships with the coach's daughter. It's a rule I've respected my entire life, a boundary that's kept my father's world separate from mine. But now, with Brooks back in my life, that line feels blurred, almost impossible to maintain.

My phone buzzes on the nightstand, pulling me out of my thoughts. I reach for it, my heart skipping a beat when I see Brooks' name on the screen. A text from him already, and it's barely 7 AM.

Brooks: Morning, Lolo. Couldn't stop thinking about last night. Want to grab breakfast?

I bite my lip, hesitating for only a second before typing back.

Lolo: I'd love to. Where should we meet?

The response is immediate.

Brooks: There's this little diner downtown. Meet me there in 30?

Lolo: See you then.

I get out of bed, suddenly filled with nervous energy. The reflection staring back at me from the mirror looks both familiar and foreign. Green eyes wide with anticipation, wavy chestnut hair that falls over my shoulders, and a face that shows a mixture of excitement and anxiety. What the hell am I doing? Part of me is thrilled at the idea of spending more time with Brooks, but another part is screaming that I'm walking into dangerous territory.

I dress quickly, opting for a casual look—jeans, a soft sweater, and my favorite pair of boots. Something about the simplicity of the outfit makes me feel grounded, even as my thoughts swirl. The drive to the diner is a blur of nerves and excitement. When I finally pull up, I spot Brooks waiting outside, leaning against his car with that effortless, confident air he's always had.

He sees me before I even step out of the car, and that smile—the one that makes my heart flip—spreads across his face. "Hey, Lolo," he says as I approach, his voice warm and familiar.

"Hey," I reply, trying to keep my voice steady despite the fluttering in my stomach. "Hope you didn't wait long."

"Not at all," he says, holding the door open for me. "I was just thinking about how great it is to be here with you."

We find a booth near the window, and the morning sun casts a soft light over the diner. It's a cozy place, the kind of spot where locals come for a good meal and some friendly conversation. The smell of coffee and pancakes fills the air, and I feel a sense of comfort settling over me.

Brooks orders coffee for both of us, his eyes never leaving mine. There's an intensity in his gaze, a look that makes me feel both excited and nervous. "So," he begins, leaning back in his seat, "how are you feeling about... everything?"

I sip my coffee, trying to gather my thoughts. "Honestly? I'm not sure. Last night was incredible, but I can't stop thinking about the complications."

His expression softens. "I know what you mean. This isn't exactly easy, is it?"

"No," I admit, shaking my head. "It's not. My dad's rule—it's always been there, like this unbreakable law. And now...I don't know what to do."

Brooks reaches across the table, his hand covering mine. The warmth of his touch sends a jolt of electricity through me. "Lolo, I'm not asking you to break any rules. But I don't want to lose this chance or this connection we have. Can we just take it one step at a time? See where it goes?"