Chapter 33

BROOKS' POV

I sat in the dim light of my apartment, the silence around me heavy and oppressive. The recent conversation with Lolo had left me reeling, my emotions a tangled mess of confusion and heartbreak. The decision she made felt like a gut punch—a brutal reality check that everything we had been fighting for was now on the line. I poured myself a glass of whiskey, the amber liquid swirling with the same uncertainty I felt inside.

Every corner of the apartment seemed to echo with memories of us—moments of laughter, intimacy, and unspoken promises. The photos of us together, once a source of pride, now seemed like cruel reminders of what we stood to lose. I took a long drink, hoping the burn of the alcohol would numb the pain, but it did little to ease the turmoil within me.

Lolo had been clear: we needed to take a step back, figure things out separately, and see if we could navigate this chaos. It was a decision that made sense rationally, but emotionally, it felt like being torn apart. Her words echoed in my mind, each repetition driving home the reality of our situation.

Sitting on the edge of my bed, I replayed our conversation over and over. "Maybe we need some space to figure things out," she had said, her voice trembling with the weight of her decision. I had understood, but understanding didn't make it any easier. The space she suggested felt like a chasm that I wasn't sure we could bridge.

The media pressure had been relentless, a constant reminder of our strained situation. Every headline, every intrusive photograph seemed designed to push us further apart. The NFL team had noticed too. My performance had slipped, and the team dynamics were affected by the personal turmoil that had become a part of my daily life. It felt like being caught in a whirlwind, unable to find solid ground.

The last few weeks had been a blur of practice sessions and interviews; my mind was barely engaged. On the field, I struggled to focus, my throws lacking the precision they once had. The stress was seeping into every aspect of my life, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the facade of normalcy.

I reached for my phone, my fingers hovering over the screen as I considered reaching out to Lolo. But what could I say that hadn't already been said? We needed to give each other space, but that didn't make it any easier to bear. I dialed her number, then hesitated before ending the call. I didn't want to seem desperate or intrude on her decision. I needed to respect her space, even though it felt like a knife twisting in my chest.

As the night dragged on, sleep eluded me. My mind raced through our shared memories, the good times and the bad. I thought about our future, the dreams we had discussed, and the plans we had made. It was hard to reconcile the image of us with the harsh reality of our separation.

The apartment was too quiet, and the solitude only amplified the loneliness I felt. I stared at the ceiling, the darkness a stark contrast to the brightness of the future we had envisioned. The echoes of Lolo's voice, her laughter, and her touch seemed distant and unreachable.

My thoughts drifted to the moments when things were easier. I remembered the first time we met and the excitement of our early days together. It was a time when the world seemed full of possibilities, a time before the pressures of the media and the expectations of our careers had started to weigh us down. Those moments felt like a lifetime ago—a beautiful dream that was now slipping through my fingers.

I knew I had to focus on getting back to my best. The team depended on me, and I couldn't afford to let my personal issues derail my career further. But the weight of my relationship with Lolo was a constant distraction, a gnawing presence that made it difficult to concentrate.

I grabbed my phone again, scrolling through the countless messages from friends and family, all offering support and advice. It was comforting to know that people cared, but none of their words could truly capture the complexity of what I was feeling. No one could fully understand the depth of my connection with Lolo or the impact of her decision.