Chapter 27

LOLO'S POV

The plan was a desperate measure, but it was the only option we had left. Brooks and I had decided to stage a breakup, pretending to sever all ties to throw off the media and my father. The weight of the charade was heavy, a constant reminder of how twisted our situation had become.

The day we agreed to the plan, the air was thick with the tension of impending deception. I paced my apartment, staring out the window at the gray sky, the drizzle outside mirroring the melancholy inside me. My father had been relentless, demanding answers I didn't have. The media, ever-present, was only making things worse. Every time I saw a camera or a flash, my stomach churned with anxiety.

Brooks and I had managed to keep up appearances throughout the day. At the press conference, we maintained the act flawlessly. Our smiles were tight, and our gestures rehearsed. I watched Brooks on stage, his eyes meeting mine occasionally. There was an unspoken understanding between us—a promise that, behind the façade, we were still connected.

When the conference ended, I felt like a puppet whose strings had been pulled one too many times. My father's expression was a mixture of relief and disbelief. "So, it's really over?" he asked, his voice cold, but there was an edge of concern in his eyes.

"Yes, Dad," I said, my voice steady but hollow. "We've decided it's best this way. It's too much right now."

He seemed to accept this, but I could see the lingering questions in his eyes. "Well, let's hope this helps. We need to focus on moving forward, not on this scandal."

"Understood," I said, giving him a forced smile before retreating to my room. The weight of the lie was almost unbearable. It felt like I was wearing a mask that was too tight, suffocating me with every breath.

As night fell, the house was quiet. My father had gone to bed, the silence wrapping around me like a shroud. I waited for what felt like hours, my heart pounding in anticipation. Brooks and I had arranged to meet at midnight, under the cover of darkness. The plan was to sneak out and find solace in each other's company, away from prying eyes and judgmental stares.

I glanced at the clock, its ticking echoing in the stillness. When the hands finally reached midnight, I slipped into my coat and shoes, careful not to make a sound. I moved through the apartment with practiced stealth, each creak of the floorboards sending a jolt of nerves through me. I reached the door and took a deep breath, steeling myself for the deception ahead.

The cool night air was a welcome contrast to the stifling atmosphere inside. I walked quickly, my heart racing as I approached the designated meeting spot—a secluded park near the edge of town. The park was deserted, the only sounds were the rustling of leaves and the distant hum of traffic.

I saw Brooks waiting under a streetlamp, his figure illuminated by the soft light. He looked up as I approached, his face lighting up with a mixture of relief and longing.

"Hey," I said softly, trying to keep my voice steady despite the flutter of emotions in my chest. "We made it."

Brooks stepped forward, his hand reaching out to touch mine. The warmth of his touch was a stark contrast to the cold air. "I didn't think we'd get away with it," he said, his voice low and husky. "But here we are."

I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat. "I just wish things were different. This whole situation is so fucked up."

"I know," he said, pulling me into a hug. The embrace was a balm to my weary soul, a fleeting moment of comfort amidst the chaos. "But we're here now. Let's make the most of it."

We walked together through the park, the silence between us filled with unspoken words and shared understanding. The night was peaceful, a stark contrast to the turmoil we faced daily. We found a secluded bench, sitting close together, our fingers intertwined.