chapter 20

Natalia Bridgers (POV):

He kissed me. Max Verstappen kissed me - and I loved it. Every single second of it.

I smile at him as I put a box of Chinese food in front of him. Luckily, I remembered he had to seriously eat after a race, reminding him that it is incredibly important. I decided to get some food, too. Might as well, right?

"Thanks for the food," Max says between bites, looking absolutely delighted. "It's so good."

"It's no problem. You have to eat after a race, Max."

He rolls his eyes playfully. "No need to sound so bossy," he whines, and I laugh. "Can we watch a movie or something?" My eyes widen, racking my brain for movie ideas. Max takes my silence differently, immediately panicking. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry. That was too fast, wasn't it? I-I should've known you just said that for my father, I'm so sorry. We don't have to do that, I'm so-"

"I want to," I cut in. "I really do."

A sigh of relief and a smile from him follow. "We can w-watch it in my room if you want?" he asks, his voice shaking an uncharacteristic amount.

"Max? Is everything okay?"

His eyes squeeze shut, a tremor rocking his body. I immediately get up and go next to him, where he leans on me heavily.

"I'm fine," he whispers faintly.

Frowning, I prop him up better. "Don't lie to me, you can tell me anything. What's wrong?"

"Y-You shouldn't worry about me."

"But I do," I counter.

He sighs, shivering in my arms. "I-I'm just a little d-dizzy," he admits quietly. "And my b-body really hurts r-right now."

Shit. I momentarily forgot that practically two hours ago he was seriously hurt. I want to punch myself for forgetting something like this, but that won't help the situation now.

"Can you walk? We can go to your bed."

He nods softly, and I help him up. He pauses, eyes screwed shut as he sways for a second. But then he's okay. I lead him up to his bed, where he lays down with a groan.

"I'm sorry," he whispers, eyes glassy. "I didn't want to r-ruin this night. I'm sorry."

I run my hands through his hair. "What are you walking about? You aren't ruining anything, I swear. Thank you for telling me what was wrong, because now I can help you. I'll get some water, painkillers, and ice, okay?"

A small smile tugs on his lips as he nods.

I quickly leave and come back with everything, he gently places the ice packs all along his stomach, and I give him the painkillers and water.

"Thank you," he murmurs happily. "You didn't have to do this."

"Well, I want to."

Max beams, and my heart seems to grow at the sight. "Kiss me," he begs. "Please, kiss me, Lia."

I hold his face in my hands gently as I kiss him, softer than ever. "You should rest, Max. It's good for you, I promise."

Sleepily, he murmurs, "Yeah, okay." He yawns, and I just smile. "Can you stay?" he asks suddenly, patting the space next to him.

"Of course," I immediately say, trying not to squeal. I slip under his duvet to lay down next to him. "Wake me up if you need anything, promise?"

"Promise," he whispers, pulling me towards him. My back is to his chest, arms wrapping around me as he kisses the top of my head.