late night visit to kaya

Prem

"Where's bhai?" I ask and Ma was focused on her little fabric magazine.

"Where do you expect him to be at?" She said without looking at me.

I guess a little visit to my parent's place isn't peaceful just as I thought.

I stood up and went up the stairs and unlock the door of a room where he rots.

Bhai was in his desk on a call with someone.
"Clara, I told you tons of times how these models are the ones who can wear our pieces better than anyone. No- not at all. It's not about the size. It's about their facial structure. They can ace this event. No more discuss on this."

33 year old, that means we have a 5 year age gap.
A Fashion Designer.
Reason behind us being completely different in career paths?
Ma always asked him to help since a young age in her fabric and textile work.

No doubt he got obsessed with it over the time and here he is. Who is always out the most of the time or in his room. Working.

I look at his smooth brown coat on his figure that was designed by himself.

He cut the call and stood up from the chair and that's when he sees me.

"When did you came?"
He asked packing up his bag.

"5 minutes ago.
I want to talk to you."

I said and walked inside the large room.
Covered with dressed mannequins, sketches here and there.
A luxury sewing machine at the desk in the center of the room. 

"What am I seeing? My brother wants to talk to me being all serious. Go for it. Im interested."

"About us.

Our family."

I let out slowly and his smile dropped.

"You know right I have to go out now? Make it quick Prem." He said looking away.

"Do you think this has to continue?
Papa barely talks to us. You are making yourself as busy as possible. Ma is always out. Everyone is trying to find an escape-"
"Would you like me to remind, you are exactly same as well Prem?"

I replied with nothing knowing he's right.

"Tell me if I am wrong. Haven't we tried to reach out to you? You were out there in either work 24 hours or that fucking strip club."  He clenched his jaw, holding his bag in his hand being not interested in my words at all.

"And I am here to fix it" I say.
"Prem for the sake of god, DON'T! We both know this conversation won't go well!" He slammed his palm on the desk hard.
I didn't reacted a bit.

Bhai has changed a lot.
We all did.

A bright man who used to joke around, laugh and be playful and so lucky with ladies is so.. out of everything.

There are times when I get a glimpse of older times in my parents.
But he is completely changed.

"You are overreacting."
I say and he let out a laugh.

"I am? I am overreacting. Right!!
All this has been a joke for you since Day 1 Prem."

"You have no idea till this day how Ma Papa were . .scared the day you were found unconscious in that washroom. Do you have a fucking idea how they must have felt? The thoughts that must have run through their mind? . .

That they might loose their other child."

Bhai's eyes softened, the voice remained loud. Broken.