CHAPTER 3: SECRETS AND LIES

Autumn had arrived, painting the Xiu family estate in hues of gold and crimson. Xiu Lan, now deeper into her pregnancy, was faced with the daunting task of hiding her condition while adapting to her new role. The reality of concealing her growing belly beneath strategic drapery and oversized garments was becoming increasingly difficult.

One crisp afternoon, as she adjusted a flowing shawl in front of her mirror, her mother, Madam Xiu, entered the room. Her mother’s gaze was warm but discerning.

“Xiu Lan, darling, you look particularly radiant today,” Madam Xiu said, her voice filled with a mother’s pride. “Are you ready for your new role with Kai Wen?”

Xiu Lan forced a bright smile, her anxiety masked by the facade of enthusiasm. “Yes, Mother. I’m eager to get started.”

Madam Xiu nodded approvingly. “This position will not only provide valuable experience but also strengthen our ties with the Wen family. It’s an excellent opportunity.”

As her mother left, Xiu Lan sighed and studied her reflection. The shawl she wore did little to conceal her growing belly. She felt the weight of her secret pressing down on her shoulders.

The next day, Xiu Lan arrived at the Wen Corporation's towering headquarters. The modern glass building loomed over the city, symbolizing the power and prestige of Kai Wen's empire. She entered with a mixture of nervous anticipation and dread, her heart racing as she approached the receptionist.

“I’m Xiu Lan,” she announced, “here to start my position as Mr. Wen’s assistant.”

The receptionist directed her to the conference room where Kai Wen awaited. As Xiu Lan stepped into the room, her eyes met Kai’s. His sharp, tailored suit and intense gaze were as commanding as ever.

“Xiu Lan,” Kai said, extending his hand. “Welcome. I hope your transition has been smooth.”

Xiu Lan shook his hand, trying to steady her nerves. “Thank you, Mr. Wen. It has been quite smooth. I’m looking forward to working with you.”

“Please, call me Kai,” he said with a faint smile. “We’re colleagues now.”

As they took their seats, Kai outlined the project details with his usual precision. Xiu Lan took notes, but her mind wandered, unable to escape the memory of their passionate night together. The strain of maintaining her composure was exhausting.

Later that day, as Xiu Lan navigated the bustling office corridor, she was startled by Kai’s voice behind her.

“Xiu Lan, can we talk for a moment?”

She turned to face him, her heart skipping a beat. “Of course, Kai. What’s on your mind?”

Kai led her to a quieter corner of the office. “I’ve noticed you seem a bit preoccupied lately. Is everything alright?”

Xiu Lan’s heart raced as she struggled to keep her voice steady. “I’m fine. Just adjusting to the new role. It’s been a bit overwhelming.”

Kai’s gaze was probing but gentle. “If there’s anything you need or if you want to talk, I’m here.”

His concern was genuine, and Xiu Lan appreciated his offer. She nodded, though her mind was racing with the implications of her secret being discovered.

“Thank you, Kai,” she said softly. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

As she left the office that evening, Xiu Lan felt a heavy weight on her shoulders. The secret she carried was becoming increasingly difficult to hide, and each day brought her closer to the moment when the truth would inevitably surface.

That night, she sought solace in the Xiu estate’s garden. The soft glow of lanterns created a peaceful retreat from her inner turmoil. Her brother, Jing Xiu Wei, approached her with a concerned look.

“You’ve been distant lately,” he said, his voice tinged with worry. “Is something troubling you?”

Xiu Lan forced a reassuring smile, though her heart ached. “It’s just the stress of the new job. I’m managing, really.”

Xiu Wei studied her for a moment, his concern evident. “If you need to talk, I’m here for you. We’re family, after all.”

His offer of support was comforting, but Xiu Lan knew she couldn’t reveal her secret. She nodded gratefully, changing the subject to something lighter, but the weight of her hidden truth remained a constant presence in her life.