CHAPTER 7: THE UNSPOKEN TRUTH

The week following the gala had been a whirlwind for Xiu Lan. Each day was a delicate balance between her growing personal crisis and her professional responsibilities. The nights were the hardest, filled with restless sleep and haunting thoughts about her secret.

In the modern, high-rise office of Wen Enterprises, the atmosphere was as polished and sleek as ever. Xiu Lan was buried in a sea of documents when Kai’s call came through. She braced herself for another encounter with him, knowing that their unspoken connection from the gala still lingered between them.

Kai’s office was a stark contrast to the hectic atmosphere outside. It was impeccably organized, with a minimalist design that spoke of his efficiency and control. When Xiu Lan entered, Kai looked up from his desk, his piercing gaze meeting hers with a mixture of curiosity and concern.

“Xiu Lan, come in,” Kai said, gesturing to the seat across from him.

Xiu Lan settled into the chair, trying to steady her nerves. “Good afternoon, Kai.”

Kai leaned back, studying her with an intensity that made her uncomfortable. “How’s the project coming along?”

“It’s progressing well,” Xiu Lan replied, forcing a professional smile. “We’re on track to meet the deadlines.”

Kai’s gaze softened slightly, though his scrutiny remained. “I’ve noticed you’ve seemed a bit distracted lately. Is everything alright?”

Xiu Lan hesitated, her thoughts racing. She was caught between the desire to confide in him and the fear of what would happen if she did. “It’s just… personal matters. Nothing that will affect our work.”

Kai’s expression turned serious. “You know, we’re working closely on this project. If something’s affecting your performance, it’s better we address it now.”

Xiu Lan looked down, her fingers nervously fiddling with the edge of a document. “It’s not something I’m ready to talk about. But I assure you, it won’t interfere with my work.”

Kai’s eyes narrowed, a flicker of frustration crossing his features. “Alright. But if you change your mind, you know where to find me.”

As Xiu Lan left his office, she felt a pang of regret. Kai’s genuine concern was a stark reminder of the wall she had built around herself. The tension between them was palpable, and she was constantly reminded of the delicate balance she had to maintain.

That evening, Xiu Lan returned home to the sprawling estate of the Xiu family. The grand foyer, with its opulent décor and lavish furnishings, was a stark contrast to her inner turmoil. Her mother, Mei Ling, greeted her with a warm smile, but Xiu Lan could barely muster the energy to respond.

“Xiu Lan, darling, you look exhausted,” Mei Ling remarked, her eyes filled with motherly concern. “Have you been taking care of yourself?”

Xiu Lan forced a smile. “I’m fine, Mother. Just a bit tired from work.”

Mei Ling nodded, though her gaze remained skeptical. “If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.”

As Xiu Lan retreated to her room, she glanced at the reflection in the mirror. Her usually radiant smile was replaced with a look of worry. The reality of her situation was sinking in, and she was unsure how to navigate the path ahead.