Chapter Five: Shadows of Betrayal

The safe house on the outskirts of New York was a stark contrast to the luxury of Catalina's penthouse. The walls were bare, the furniture minimal, but it provided the necessary protection after the ambush. Catalina paced the room, her mind racing with anger and frustration. Jaxon lay on a makeshift bed, his wound freshly bandaged, and Eric stood by the door, his expression grim.

Catalina's eyes burned with fury. The ambush had been too precise, too well-timed. Someone within their ranks had betrayed them, and she was determined to find out who.

"We need to talk," Jaxon said, his voice weak but resolute.

Catalina turned to face him, her eyes narrowing. "You shouldn't be talking. You need to rest."

Jaxon pushed himself up on one elbow, wincing with pain. "This can't wait. We have a traitor in our midst. and we need to root them out before they strike again."

Eric stepped forward, his protective instincts flaring. "Jaxon's right, Catalina. We can't let this side."

Catalina clenched her fists, her nails digging into her palms. "I know that, Eric. Bet we need to be smart about this. Rushing in blind will only get us killed.

As she spoke, the door opened, and a group of Jaxon's men entered. Leading them was Dante, his expression a mix of concern and determination. He was flanked by two of Jaxon's top enforcers: Marco, a wiry man with quick reflexes and a sharp mind, and Alex, a hulking figure with a reputation for brutal efficiency.

"How is he?" Dante asked, his eyes flicking to Jaxon.

Catalina crossed her arms, her voice icy. "He'll live, but we need to find out who betrayed us."

Dante nodded, his jaw set. "We'll start with our own ranks. Someone must have seen or heard something."

As they strategized, Catalina's own men arrived. Among them were Lucia, her trusted lieutenant with a knack for gathering intelligence, and James, a loyal enforcer known for his deadly precision. Their arrival added another of tension to the already volatile situation.

"We need to interrogate everyone who had access to our plans." Catalina said, her tone brooking no argument. "No one leaves until we find the traitor."

The next hours were filled with intense interrogations. Catalina and Jaxon's men worked tirelessly, questioning everyone who had been involved in the operation. The atmosphere was thick with suspicion and anger, every word, every glance scrutinized for signs of decit.

Catalina watched the proceedings with a critical eye, her mind racing through possibilities. She trusted her core team implicitly, but the scope of the betrayal suggested someone close, someone with intimate knowledge of their plans.

As she moved through the safe house, she found herself face-to face with Jaxon. He had insisted on joining the interrogations despite his injury, his presence a reminder of the high stakes they faced.

"We need to talk," Jaxon said, his voice low but insistent.

Catalina's eye flashed with anger. "This isn't the time for discussions, Jaxon. We need to find the traitor."

Jaxon stepped closer, his expression determined. "That's exactly why we need to talk. This betrayal runs deep, and if we don't work together, we're both as good as dead."

Catalina's jaw tightened, her frustration boiling over. "Work together?! You mean I should trust you blindly while my men are dying because of your carelessness?"

Jaxon's eyes darkened, his anger matching hers. "My carelessness?!! It was your plan, your men who handled the logistics. If there's a traitor, they could be one of yours just as easily."

The tension between them crackled like a live wire. For a moment, it seemed like the argument might erupt into violence. But before they could escalate further, Dante and Eric intervened, pulling them apart.

"Enough!" Dante barked. "This isn't helping. We need to focus on finding the traitor, not tearing each other apart."

Eric nodded, his voice steady. "Dante's right. We need to be united, or we're all doomed."

Cataline took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down. "Fine. But this isn't over, Jaxon. We'll find the traitor, and then we'll see where we stand."

Hours turned into the early morning, and the safe house was filled with exhaustion and frayed nerves. Just as Catalina was beginning to doubt they would find any leads, Lucia approached her, her expression urgent.

"Boss, I found something," Lucia said, handing over a small device. "I found this hidden in one of the storage rooms. It's a transmitter."

Lucia nodded, her eyes fierce. "I already traced the signal. It's coming from one of Jaxon's men."

Catalina's eyes locked onto Jaxon, who had been watching the exchange from across the room. She approached him, and the transmitter clutched in her hand.

"Explain this!," she demanded, her voice cold.

Jaxon's eyes widened as he saw the device. "I have no idea. But if one of my men is a traitor, we'll find out who."

Catalina didn't trust his assurances, but she knew they needed to act fast. "Lucia, gather everyone. We're confronting this head-on."

The entire group assembled in the main room, the tension palpable. Catalina and Jaxon stood side by side, presenting a united front. Lucia stepped forword, holding the transitter.

"We found this hidden in the safe house," she announced, her voice carring through the room. "It was transmitting our plans to the Prezs."

A murmur of shock and anger rippled through the group. Dante stepped forward, his expression grim. "We've traced the signal. The traitor is among us."

Catalina's eyes scanned the faces before her, searching for any sign of guilt. "Whoever it is, step forward now. If you make us find you, it will be much worse."

For a moment, there was silence. Then, Marco, one of Jaxon's top enforcers, suddenly bolted for the door. The room erupted into chaos as everyone sprang into action.

"Stop him!" Jaxon shouted, lunging after Marco despite his injury.

Catalina drew her gun, her eyes locked onto Marco. "Don't let him escape!"

Shots rang out as Marco reached the door, but he was too quick. He burst into the night, and Catalina and Jaxon's men pursued him.

The chase through the dark streets was frantic and dangerous. Catalina led the pursuit, her determination driving her forward. The sound of gunfire echoed through the night as Marco tried to shake them off, but they were relentless.

Finally, they cornered him in a narrow alley. Marco turned, his gun raised, but Catalina was faster. She fired, hitting him in the shoulder and sending him sprawling to the ground.

She approached him cautiously, her gun still trained on him. "Why Marco? Why betray us?"

Marco's eyes were filled with fear and desperation. "They threatened my family. They said they'd kill them if I didn't help."

Morco's breath was ragged, his voice barely a wishper. "It's not just the Prezs. There's someone else. Someone bigger."

Before he could say more, a single shot rang out from the darkness, hitting Marco square in the head. He fell back, lifeless.

Catalina spun around, searching for the shooter, but saw nothing. The shadows closed in, leaving more questions than answers.

She knelt by Marco's body, frustration and anger boiling inside her. Jaxon approached, his expression grim.

"This isn't over," Catalina said, her voice hard. "There's someone else pulling the strings."

Jaxon nodded, his eyes dark. "And we're going to find out who."

The night was far from over, and as Catalina looked into the darkness, she knew the real enemy was still out there, hidden in the shadows.