Chapter 20

The next day, Dev walked into the café with a bright smile on his face, determined to make things right. He had found out that Abhinav worked there and, by extension, Navya as well. His heart fluttered with anticipation as he spotted Navya from a distance, working quietly and without any visible emotion. She seemed so different from the vibrant, lively woman he once knew, and the sight tugged at his heartstrings.

He chose a seat in her section, hoping to get her attention. As she approached his table, her expression was blank, not giving away any hint of recognition.

"Sir, order please," she said, her tone steady and professional, betraying no emotion.

Dev leaned back in his chair, flashing a playful smile, trying to break through her cold demeanor. "You know my favorite. Please bring that," he said, his voice laced with a lighthearted tease.

Navya's eyes flickered with a momentary shock, but she quickly composed herself. Without a trace of warmth, she replied, "How would I know that? I’m no one to you."

The words hit Dev like a punch to the gut, but he kept his cheerful facade intact, refusing to let her coldness deter him. He softened his tone, trying to coax a response from her. "Come on, Navya," he said gently, "Bring me your special dish. You know, the one you make better than anyone else here."

Navya hesitated for a moment, her mind torn between the professionalism she had to maintain and the emotions swirling within her. Finally, she gave a curt nod and turned to leave.

As she walked away, Dev called after her, his tone playful, almost flirtatious. "And hey, don’t forget to add that secret ingredient of yours—lots of love!"

Navya clenched her jaw, irritation bubbling under her calm exterior. She could feel his eyes on her, and it was taking everything in her to not snap back. She walked into the kitchen, taking deep breaths to steady herself.

Back at the table, Dev waited patiently, his eyes following her every move. He knew he was pushing her buttons, but he also knew that this was the only way he could get through to her. He wanted to remind her of the good times, of the way they used to be, even if it was just through a simple order at a café.

When Navya returned with his food, she placed the plate in front of him with a firm, yet controlled movement. "Your order, sir," she said, her voice detached, as if she were serving a stranger.

Dev looked up at her, trying to catch her gaze, but she kept her eyes averted, focusing on anything but him. He tried again, this time with a soft smile. "You really are the best, Navya. No one else could make this dish as good as you."

She didn’t respond, simply turning away to attend to other customers. But as she walked away, Dev caught a glimpse of her clenched fists, the only sign that his words had affected her.

As he ate, Dev tried to keep up his cheerful demeanor, occasionally calling out to her with little comments and jokes. "This is amazing! You’ve outdone yourself, Navya!" he exclaimed, loud enough for her to hear.

Navya didn’t respond, but he could see the tension in her shoulders. She was irritated, that much was clear, but Dev wasn’t going to give up. He was determined to break through her walls, no matter how high or thick they had become.

When he finished his meal, he left a generous tip on the table and stood up, catching her eye one last time. "Thank you for the meal, Navya. It was perfect, just like old times."

She didn't responded to him......

After finishing his meal, Dev continued to linger around the café, trying to engage Navya in conversation whenever she passed by his table. His attempts to get closer to her, however, were met with nothing but irritation from Navya. She was finding it increasingly difficult to maintain her composure, her patience wearing thin with each passing moment.