Chapter 9

Team Izuku managed to barely scrape by and got fourth place. It was time for everyone to take a break while those who couldn't qualify were doing challenges to show off their quirk. Izuku relaxed in the break room and was chatting with his friends while Todoroki walked up to him.

"I need to talk to you. Privately," Todoroki said coldly.

Izuku looked at him for a moment and then excused himself with his other friends. They then walked down a few hallways, this place seem more maze-like with every turn. Todoroki then stopped at a random location, thinking no one would come here.

"I'm not going to lose to you, Midoriya," Todoroki stared Izuku straight in the eyes.

Izuku stared back and paused for a moment, "I doubt that's all you wanted to say, otherwise you wouldn't have brought me here, what's up?" Izuku crossed his arms.

"You managed to make me break my pledge to myself during that match. You see, I despise my fire side, all thanks to my father. I swore to never use it" Todoroki looked down to his left hand, "Ever hear of quirk marriages? It was a way to strengthen the power of the next generation's quirks, that's what I'm the process of, and that's all my father sees in me, a tool," he scorned at his hand.

Izuku stood there, looking at Todoroki with pity, "No father should look at their child like that. My dad found me stranded in the middle of nowhere, and you know what he did?" Izuku paused, waiting for a response that never came, "He raised me as his own. Helped me grow my talents so that I could achieve my dream. I'm not saying I have it better or anything, but I'm telling you that despite whatever background you have, you are your own person, not a tool."

Todoroki looked at Izuku coldly before walking away, "Don't lose in the first round," Todoroki said without looking back.

Izuku looked down at his golden robotic hand and tightened his grip as he looked back at Todoroki.

***

Everyone showed up who qualified showed up to the stage. Izuku looked around and saw a few of his classmates and others he didn't recognise.

"Now, between all of you, you will be having a one on one match in a tournament!" Midnight exclaimed.

A few students looked at each other pumped up while very few looked nervous.

"We'll decide on the placement with a lottery," She said as she pulled out a box with paper in it.

Mashirao Ojiro raised his hand, "I'd like to drop out please," he said, "I don't even remember what happened or how I got here, and it doesn't sit well with my pride as an aspiring hero."

Izuku and everyone around looked at him shocked. How could someone who made it this far want to drop out? It didn't make sense, yet...

"Very well!" Midnight said while cracking her whip.

With that said, someone else from class one B decided to also quit. Midnight then decided to place the next best team's members to replace Ojiro and the other kid. 

After doing the lotto, the matchups were decided and Izuku saw that if he won this match, he'd fight Todoroki in the second round. Izuku examined a few more of the fights but got interrupted by his first opponent.

"You're Izuku Midoriya, yeah?" The boy in front of Izuku had purple hair and dark circles under his eyes. This guy reminded Izuku of his teacher Aizawa.

By habbit, Izuku was about to respond to him, but Ojiro covered his mouth, making sure Izuku couldn't speak back.

"Don't respond to him Midoriya, I don't know what it is, but that has something to do with his quirk," He warned Izuku.