Resume Investigation

"Tell me, sir, do you know where your brother had gone on August 10th?" I said to a finely dressed man while standing outside his front door.

It has been a day after the incident in Greenville and things haven't exactly been progressing as expected. Firstly the man we arrested apparently has as much knowledge on his gang's whereabouts as much as we were, in fact, he lost contact with them before everything even started. Though there is one thing he does know that helped us a lot, and that was the reason why Chief sent me and Maxwell to interview the leader's brother; see if he knew something.
"I'm sorry officer, but I don't know," he said worryingly.
"do you know any close associate that might?"
"his girlfriend might, I could write down her address if you like
"thank you that would be helpful."
grabbing my pen and notebook, then giving it to him, he took a split second to write down the address before giving it back to me.
"thank you again."
"Before you leave officer, could I ask you something?"
"OK"
"what has brother done this time?" he said with a mix of worry and disappointment.
"well... without disclosing too much. Let's just say it's worser than what he did previously.

with that, I pardoned myself and went back to the car, where Maxwell was waiting patiently in the driver's seat. As I stepped into the back seat, Maxwell asked me, "Where would we be going next". Checking the notebook, I told him the address, and he lit up the ignition, causing the car to roar as the engine came to life. It was only moments before he started driving us there.

As Maxwell drove the car, I looked out the window, seeing leaves coating the street in its amber hue; with some blown away by the car's speed. Above it was a crisp blue cloudless sky, letting the sun shine its dazzling light. And there was something new, or should I say old on the sidewalks; people, walking around going about their day. Some were talking, some were silently walking, and some were kids playfully running.
"hey, Jonathan," Maxwell suddenly said, breaking the silence.
"yes, what is it?"
"can I ask you something?"
"OK, ask away."
"about yesterday."
"what about yesterday."
"you know... yesterday," he said anxiously.
"you do know I wasn't at the station yesterday right?" it was at that moment I realized what he wanted to ask. "oh, you mean Greenville, what about it."
"did you..." he hesitated.
"did I what?"
"you know what never mind. Forget about it."
back then even now, I know full well what he wanted to say. Unfortunately, I didn't exactly want to dwell on it at the time. Even with that, I wanted to say something, just so we weren't left in awkward silence.
"you read my report didn't you?"
"I still couldn't believe it."
"me neither?" I lounge back, with both hands resting behind my head.
  "I had to admit they were tougher than any other thug on the street. That's for sure"
"Lucky that she intervene."
"good thing I always listen to my mother, a revolver a day keeps the baddies away.
Maxwell happily chuckled at that.
"and her too."
 the car abruptly stopped.
"we're here," he said.
I looked outside in front of us there was a small two-story house, the style was Italianate, made out of bricks. Between those red bricks; there was a white wooden archway, with a navy blue door in the middle.
"Can I do the questioning this time?" Maxwell asked.
"OK," I shrug.

We left our car and began walking toward the door, with Maxwell just a few steps behind me. We stopped just a few centimeters from it, then Maxwell walked forward and knocked on it a few times; we stood there for a moment hoping someone was home; luckily we heard movement inside the house, and a fine-looking woman greeted us. 
Maxwell started questioning her, while I waited there and heard their conversation.
"good afternoon miss," Maxwell said.
"good afternoon officer, what seems to be the problem."
"Do you by any chance have any relations with Boris Raccogliere?"
"yes, I'm his lady, why do ask officer," she asked fearfully.
"well... you see miss, we're here because of your boyfriend see."
"oh god again?" she said angrily. "why does he always do such reckless things? why can't he do something more productive?"
"I'm very sorry for your distress miss."
"no, officer it's alright, it's not your fault... he's kept doing such dangerous things."
"If it's not too much, can I ask you a few questions"
"Sure, officer."
"do you know where your boyfriend went on August 10th?"
"let me remember. I think he mentioned he was meeting up with a friend at a place they always visit."
"do you know where the place is?"
"Unfortunately no officer, he didn't tell me where it is, but I think I might know."
"go on," Maxwell looked attentively.
"he told me about a speakeasy that he always visited whenever he was bored, or in a bad mood. Perhaps he might have gone there."
"do you know where it is?"
"it's near the port on Manfred St. It's behind a general store's back door."
"is that all."
"yes, officer"
"if that's the case then you have my thanks miss," he turned around and walked past me. "let's get going then, Jonathan. We haven't got all day."